jumpy touchpad

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Sameer Verma

unread,
May 16, 2010, 4:02:46 PM5/16/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
There is a quickfix being discussed on one of the lists for the jumpy
mouse cursor on touchpads that have three sections (most of the XO-1
have these). The fix is to use scotch tape on the pad, to reduce the
capacitance in environments where humidity/dust can increase the
sensitivity.

Can anyone who has similar problems in the field try this out on a XO
or two and post results?

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Director, Campus Business Solutions
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
http://is.sfsu.edu/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OLPC India" group.
To post to this group, send email to olpc-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to olpc-india+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/olpc-india?hl=en.

mvalent

unread,
May 18, 2010, 5:49:53 AM5/18/10
to OLPC India
Hi Sameer,
I wonder why you keep posting to this (virtually dead) list... :-)
As you know, Amit Gogna is not involved in this any more and DBF looks
to be completely dead.
I am going to forward this information about touchpad to the Saint-
Anthony's school, that looks to be an interesting trick !
Last time I went to India, I fixed a sticky key problem, another
nuisance of the XO-1 ! However, we are still using our 36 XO really a
lot. For bigger children, I brought SD cards with the Xtra OS (http://
on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/978), so they can get used to
other systems and start using OpenOffice and even printing. The bigger
part of the work was to get the developper keys and disable security
on all XO.
-marc-
http://www.oeuvredespains.org

On 16 mai, 22:02, Sameer Verma <sve...@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> There is a quickfix being discussed on one of the lists for the jumpy
> mouse cursor on touchpads that have three sections (most of the XO-1
> have these). The fix is to use scotch tape on the pad, to reduce the
> capacitance in environments where humidity/dust can increase the
> sensitivity.
>
> Can anyone who has similar problems in the field try this out on a XO
> or two and post results?
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Campus Business Solutions
> San Francisco State Universityhttp://verma.sfsu.edu/http://opensource.sfsu.edu/http://cbs.sfsu.edu/http://is.sfsu.edu/

Sameer Verma

unread,
May 18, 2010, 10:46:42 AM5/18/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:49 AM, mvalent <mlgva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sameer,
> I wonder why you keep posting to this (virtually dead) list... :-)

Hi Marc,
Looks like I'm able to reach you! I am sure there are others as well,
who have similar problems.

> As you know, Amit Gogna is not involved in this any more and DBF looks
> to be completely dead.

This isn't the case. I am not sure about Amit's involvement (I can't
speak for him) but I am still working with DBF. We just got olpc
Hyderabad off the ground and have a batch of XO-1s in a school there.

> I am going to forward this information about touchpad to the Saint-
> Anthony's school, that looks to be an interesting trick !

Yes, please let us know if it works. Folks at 1CC (OLPC Foundation)
find their office environs too pristine to test this hack, but the
field should yield better results.

> Last time I went to India, I fixed a sticky key problem, another
> nuisance of the XO-1 ! However, we are still using our 36 XO really a
> lot. For bigger children, I brought SD cards with the Xtra OS (http://
> on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/978), so they can get used to
> other systems and start using OpenOffice and even printing. The bigger
> part of the work was to get the developper keys and disable security
> on all XO.
> -marc-
> http://www.oeuvredespains.org
>

It would be useful to hear from your deployment on how the project is
going with the XOs, both on the Sugar side and the XtraOS side. Would
you be up for someone working with you to document some of these? If
so, do let me know onlist or at sve...@sfsu.edu

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Director, Campus Business Solutions
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages