Re: Old Town B HOA Google Group

IDD

Mar 23, 2011, 3:32:55 PM3/23/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, Rashmey Seth, ghassan ullayk, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, John McMenemy, silver...@yahoo.co.uk, June Park, oldtow...@googlegroups.com
Dear Omar,
Me and Ghassan will be happy to join the HOA as I have email before.

Please Ghassan can you confirm?

Thanks
Elena Carabelli

From: Omar Shamma <osh...@third-i.biz>
Subject: Old Town B HOA Google Group
To: "'ghassan ullayk'" <gul...@hotmail.com>, e...@emirates.net.ae, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, rashm...@yahoo.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, "'John McMenemy"'" <jmc...@oceaneering.com>, osh...@third-i.biz, silver...@yahoo.co.uk, "June Park" <ju...@miskal.co.uk>
Date: Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, 3:04 PM

Dear All,

I have taken the liberty of creating an Old Town B Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/oldtown-b-hoa.

A Google Group is effectively a bulletin board, where you can have discussions and post your comments/news. I urge you all to join the group. You can send comments/emails to this group at the address oldtow...@googlegroups.com. The email is then received by all group members and additionally can be viewed online via the group web page.

[...]

image001.gif

ghassan ullayk

Mar 24, 2011, 12:01:27 AM3/24/11
to e...@emirates.net.ae, osh...@third-i.biz, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com
Although my preference to be elected properly by the owners based on a clear plan and vision as per RERA's regulations ( both interim and permanent). I am ready to join to help reducing the service fees.
Rgrds
Ghassan

From: e...@emirates.net.ae
To: osh...@third-i.biz; rashm...@yahoo.com; gul...@hotmail.com; kuth...@emirates.net.ae; jan...@eim.ae; vih...@hotmail.com; fb2...@hotmail.com; pooneh...@gmail.com; fba...@gmail.com; arsh...@gmail.com; lorinr...@gmail.com; yazd...@gmail.com; pars...@hotmail.com; abev...@yahoo.co.uk; nas...@hotmail.com; nashi...@hotmail.com; chhi...@eim.ae; mp_m...@yahoo.com; ke...@miskal.co.uk; charlie...@gmail.com; shara...@gmail.com; ktec...@emirates.net.ae; br...@ftvproclad.com; jmc...@oceaneering.com; silver...@yahoo.co.uk; ju...@miskal.co.uk
CC: oldtow...@googlegroups.com

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 23:32:55 +0400
image001.gif

Omar Shamma

Mar 24, 2011, 2:50:48 AM3/24/11
to jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, e...@emirates.net.ae, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Jaymin,

Please note that Ghassan Ullayk and Elena Carabelli are volunteering to fill the remaining two places on the interim board. Please include them as members.

Please also note that communication to the interim board can be addressed to oldtow...@gmail.com (if confidential only to board members) and oldtow...@googlegroups.com for general information and messages to the owners/community at large.

From my side I welcome both Ghassan and Elena as members and hope that ALL owners feel that the board membership encompasses the full spectrum of opinions and viewpoints such that it represents a fair and balanced position in promoting the rights and interests of the owners as we move forward in the formation of the HOA.

[...]

IDD

Mar 24, 2011, 10:07:47 AM3/24/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Omar,

what I would like do with all the other board member and as per request of the majority of the Old Town B owners, is to understand and have a clear break down of scope of work and how till today all our money has been spend.

I do not believe past is past, because we should learn from the past and to be able to work correctly for the future we have to have a CLEAR picture of the scope of work and single cost that up to now have been spend (as per RERA regulation Emaar should provide all the details).

It is clear that think has not been done correctly and with the right transparency of  Emaar original vision.

If we want to continuous working with Emaar and continuous with their services, how do you think can be done if we cannot control scope of work and break down of price (to be tender correctly or to revise the cost and bring it down to a reasonable level).

Since the economic break down all the salary and rent has been reduce to half but our service fee did not have any revision.

We need to pressure Emaar to guaranty us a revision and reduction of service charges.

If we do not start now in this way we will loose more time and we will not be able as board member to start controlling new service fee correctly or with the right understanding. We need all the information to start with, and we need to work in reducing the service charges to a resonable level and with a complete trasparency for all the owners.

Thanks

Elena Carabelli

Mar 25, 2011, 3:24:43 AM3/25/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk
image001.gif

IDD

Mar 25, 2011, 3:37:05 AM3/25/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk
Dear Omar,
how can the board accept service fee in the name of all the owner if we do not know how the money have been spend?

I can garanty that RERA does not want this to happen. Why not work all togheter in this direction?

Ghasan can we arrange a day to go and present in emaar an ufficial request of breaking down cost and scope of work and celarly reduction of service fee?

Omar can we have all the conctact of Emaar that we should have to start working?

Thanks
Elena
image001.gif

Omar Shamma

Mar 25, 2011, 4:42:15 AM3/25/11

No problem from my side I will continue to use your email address. The google groups email is very simple, just ensure that you place oldtow...@googlegroups.com in the address and the message will be received by all concerned.

[...]

Rashmey Seth

Mar 25, 2011, 5:05:37 AM3/25/11
to IDD, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, osh...@third-i.biz, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk
Dist,

Hope you all have also read the news item in the Business Section page 32 of Gulf News today - yet another expense coming to fall on us Owners' account of Home Insurance where HOA will be required to take out an Insurance Policy for

        - the Joint-Property areas as well as
        - another one for our individual units owned by us

Therefore, we need to protect the 'net value' of our investments in these properties by making sure that we control/manage better the increase in all these related costs?

Regards......Rashmey
image001.gif

Omar Shamma

Mar 25, 2011, 5:21:00 AM3/25/11
to IDD, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk, jay...@emaar.ae, m34...@googlegroups.com

Dear Elena,

MY contact in EMAAR is Mr. Jaymin Patel, who to-date I have found to be very cooperative and helpful. His email address is jay...@emaar.ae.

I attach the presentation made by EMAAR to the interim committee last week (before you and Ghassan joined) on the District Cooling costs. We still await the minutes to the meeting from EMAAR.

From this presentation I challenged EMAAR on the following issues:

1.    The district cooling company is an EMAAR subsidiary (I recall it was called EMAAR ENERGY?). Now this operation is basically a privately “run for profit” monopoly. We cannot switch to someone else. My question is what government regulation limits what district cooling companies can charge, since individually in the area of their operation they are basically a monopoly? I asked this question knowing the answer. We can only look at EMAAR ENERGY in the same way we look at DEWA. We have no influence in what the government charges for electricity and water. EMAAR is a semi-government company and as such its policy in terms of what it can or cannot charge for its services (like DEWA) is dictated by the government. The best we can do is complain IF the rates per tonnage refrigeration are above the average in the market.

2.    I made it clear that in our opinion we need more details on the charges (i.e. more details to pages 9, 10 and 11 in the presentation).

3.    IF properly managed district cooling is more efficient and environmentally friendly compared with individual cooling. However, this efficiency only comes when the individual user can vary his individual usage to economise on the cooling (i.e. the ability to lower the cooling independently in each property/unit). IF this is done savings in total costs of up to 32% are possible (see page 7 of the presentation). However, as the usage of the cooling is not metered individually, there is no incentive by any user to economise with their cooling…they keep it on all the time, since the logic is “if I am charged for it anyway I will use it!”. As a result the cooling charges for my 4,099 sq ft Meadows villa is some 25% cheaper than the charge for cooling my 1,200 sq ft Old Town apartment. For the sake of the environment EMAAR should implement INDIVIDUAL METERING in each unit!!

4.    Whether individual metering is implemented or not I proposed that the billing for the cooling be charged on a monthly basis and that the responsibility for payment be the tenant, as is the case with electricity and water. I do not see why this utility is billed any differently to other utilities. This will not make any difference to the resident owner, however it will reduce the cost to the investor owner (the majority) who is leasing out the property and it will remove the whole issue of district cooling from the responsibility of the HOA. It will be the same as DEWA.

As you can see the issues of cost revolve around fundamental approaches to the management of district cooling and MUST include government regulation and policy. This is wider than the Old Town B HOA. We can provide our opinions, but in the end it is the government that will dictate.

Again, if you disagree with my approach or logic then by all means take up the issue further, you have my support.

image001.gif
DCP_Presentation__Old_Town_(B)_Ppt0000018.pdf

IDD

Mar 25, 2011, 9:11:18 AM3/25/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, rashm...@yahoo.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk, jay...@emaar.ae, m34...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Omar,on this point of the cooling system I  agree with you and I support your view and approach. you will be surprise to know if we ask to all owner, how many of them rarely use AC. I have even close the cooling air that came into the appartment togheter obviusly with the aspiration system. Most of the Europen do not like AC or not to be able to control the air temperature coming inside the apartmen.
image001.gif

Omar Shamma

Mar 25, 2011, 9:22:00 AM3/25/11
to Rashmey Seth, IDD, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, ghassan ullayk, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Rashmey,

If you read the details of the sales contract on any EMAAR property it requires the home owner to take out insurance on that property. Whilst the property may have been purchased from an existing owner, legally it is sold back to EMAAR and then repurchased by the new owner from EMAAR, with an EMAAR contract of sale. This article, clearly titled to dramatize the situation, is merely stating what already exists in most cases and is normal practice around the world. Common areas and general building insurance has and will continue to be taken out by the developer (now the HOA) and insurance for the individual apartments has and will continue to be taken out by the respective owners. All that has happened here is that the HOAs are being advised that they must insure the practice of taking out insurance continues. There is no new “added” cost here.

What is true in this article is the statement “For the individual property owner, the transition from landlord to owners' associations represents a world of difference”. For those who have never previously experienced owning a “joint property” that is managed by a HOA, I am sure there will be more surprises for them to come.

This link may be useful to understand the role, benefits and criticisms of HOAs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowner_association

image001.gif

ghassan ullayk

Mar 25, 2011, 2:51:51 PM3/25/11
to osh...@third-i.biz, rashm...@yahoo.com, e...@emirates.net.ae, jay...@emaar.ae, ju...@miskal.co.uk, oldtow...@googlegroups.com, kuth...@emirates.net.ae, jan...@eim.ae, vih...@hotmail.com, fb2...@hotmail.com, pooneh...@gmail.com, fba...@gmail.com, arsh...@gmail.com, lorinr...@gmail.com, yazd...@gmail.com, pars...@hotmail.com, abev...@yahoo.co.uk, nas...@hotmail.com, nashi...@hotmail.com, chhi...@eim.ae, mp_m...@yahoo.com, ke...@miskal.co.uk, charlie...@gmail.com, shara...@gmail.com, ktec...@emirates.net.ae, br...@ftvproclad.com, jmc...@oceaneering.com, silver...@yahoo.co.uk

Schedule 1

(Code of Conduct for Board Members)

1. A Board member must be committed to understanding the role of the Owners Association and the rules by which it operates.
2. A Board member must act honestly and fairly in performing their duties and must not unfairly or unreasonably disclose information held by the Owners Association, including information about the Owner or Occupier of a Unit, unless authorized or required by law to do so.
3. A Board member must act in the best interests of all Owners. All Board members should not approve contracts with any entity providing goods and services to the property which the Board member owns, partly owns or is employed by.
4. A Board member must not –
(a) cause a nuisance on the Common Areas; or
(b) otherwise behave in any way that unreasonably affects a person’s lawful use and enjoyment of a Unit or the Common Areas.
5. If a conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest arises at any time, then a Board member must before any debate or vote is taken on the matter to which the conflict relates:
(a) disclose that conflict to the Board; and
(b) abide by the decision of the Board as to whether they are to be permitted to participate in any debate or vote in respect of the matter.

Schedule 2

(Code of Conduct for Association Managers)

1. An Association Manager must have a sound working knowledge of and must comply with the Law, this Constitution and the Regulations, Directions and instructions under the Law.
2. An Association Manager must –
(a) act honestly, fairly and professionally; and
(b) exercise reasonable skill, care and diligence,
in performing their functions.
3. An Association Manager must not unfairly or unreasonably disclose information held by the Owners Association, including information about the Owner or Occupier of a Unit, unless authorized or required by law to do so.
4. Unless it is unlawful to do so, an Association Manager must at all times act in the best interests of the Owners Association and, without limitation, must not favour the interests of a developer or contractor over the interests of the Owners Association.
5. An Association Manager must not engage in:
(a) fraudulent or misleading conduct; or
(b) unconscionable conduct,
In performing their functions.
6. An Association Manager must not do anything that would have the effect of placing their interests in conflict with the interests of the Owners Association.
7. An Association Manager must disclose all relationships in writing to the Owners Association regarding any actual, potential or perceived conflict of interest between the Association Manager and any other supplier of goods or services to the Owners Association. The Association Manager shall take all necessary steps to avoid any favoritism or impropriety during the selection process and negotiation of any contracts with suppliers.
8. An Association Manager must not disclose any confidential information (such as Owners’ details, Property’s details, matters regarding the Owners’ Association) to a third party, without the consent and written approval from the Owners’ Association, with exception of any requirement by Law.
9. An Association Manager must take reasonable steps to ensure that goods and services procured by an Owners Association are procured at the most competitive prices reasonably obtainable.
10. An Association Manager must take reasonable steps to ensure that his employees observe this Code of Conduct.

From: osh...@third-i.biz
To: rashm...@yahoo.com; e...@emirates.net.ae; jay...@emaar.ae; ju...@miskal.co.uk
CC: oldtow...@googlegroups.com; gul...@hotmail.com; kuth...@emirates.net.ae; jan...@eim.ae; vih...@hotmail.com; fb2...@hotmail.com; pooneh...@gmail.com; fba...@gmail.com; arsh...@gmail.com; lorinr...@gmail.com; yazd...@gmail.com; pars...@hotmail.com; abev...@yahoo.co.uk; nas...@hotmail.com; nashi...@hotmail.com; chhi...@eim.ae; mp_m...@yahoo.com; ke...@miskal.co.uk; charlie...@gmail.com; shara...@gmail.com; ktec...@emirates.net.ae; br...@ftvproclad.com; jmc...@oceaneering.com; silver...@yahoo.co.uk

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:22:00 +0400
image001.gif