Fwd: Is the story of Sodom and Gomorrah literal?

1 view

Clair Barrus

Feb 15, 2014, 11:48:33 PM2/15/14
to ol...@googlegroups.com
Sex Genesis: Is the Sodom Story Literal? (part 1)

Lots wife turns into a pillar of salt when she sees the destruction of Sodom

Lots wife turns into a pillar of salt when she sees the destruction of Sodom

When asked to substitute-teach a gospel doctrine lesson a few years ago, I discovered unexpected parallels between the Sodom and Gomorrah story and some of the stories preceding it. Upon further examination, I came to the realization that the story was probably not literal, but instead a construction based in part on two earlier stories. I’d like to touch on a few things that I believe call into question a literal interpretation of this story.

In two or three posts, I’ll discuss how these two stories fed into the Sodom and Gomorrah story.  I’ll also cover a later story that borrowed from and reshaped the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. Just a warning – all of the stories have to do with sex. Old Testament is very frank about sexuality and does not shy away from a discussing a wide variety of sexuality. As I’ve read through these stories, I’ve concluded that each author was determined to not to repeat any previously discussed form of sexuality, but instead add new twists based on the older stories. My intent was not been to explore sexuality, but instead the Sodom and Gomorrah story. However I’ve realized how integral sexuality was to the related stories.  All the stories tell of improbable, unproductive or inappropriate sexuality in order to demonstrate the superiority of Israel (or certain tribes of Israel) over its enemies.

- See more at: http://www.withoutend.org/sodom/#sthash.mbOz2ynJ.dpuf