Re: Abridged summary of olds-mooc-open@googlegroups.com - 6 Messages in 1 Topic

Hugues Chicoine

Feb 24, 2013, 11:05:45 AM2/24/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
.
 ... evaluation is often a show of goodwill and makes sense where serious flaws are identified (TCReed) yet seldom has the power to remedy a situation when the process is opaque and/or performed in closed-circuit and/or under exclusive institutional responsibility. But in program or course design per se, there are built-in academic controls all along the (hopefully) faculty-driven iterative process to ensure that several aspects (objectives) of quality are met and conformity to (disciplinary) best practice if not standards is verified. In my experience the technical aspect of design is the weakest link (often mediocre) simply because innovation is a fad among managers (still has that aura of persuasion to it). As for the specific question, I wonder in what circumstances both innovation and evaluation would be performed by the same person or entity. Evaluation and control are structurally inherent to the preparation and construction of learner workplans (programs, courses, lessons) and yes in that sense evaluation should be near the heart of learning design.
.

2013/2/23 <olds-mo...@googlegroups.com>

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/olds-mooc-open/topics

    Yishay Mor <yis...@gmail.com> Feb 22 04:30PM -0800

    quick show of hands: where do you stand on the issue of evaluation?

    Are you closer to:
    a. Evaluation is the life blood of learning design. From initial concepts
    to final product - we evaluate ...more
    Cara Saul <cara...@btinternet.com> Feb 23 08:40AM -0800

    Clearly it is Important to check whether the designed outcomes are being achieved but all to often more time is taken evaluating rather than innovating. All new enterprises require both a measure of ...more
    "Thomas C. Reeves" <evalua...@gmail.com> Feb 23 08:49AM -0800

    Yishay, you have pointed out two starkly divergent views on evaluation that
    I have observed firsthand throughout my career. Obviously, my hand is up
    for the "Evaluation as life force of learning ...more
    Apostolos Koutropoulos <a.koutr...@gmail.com> Feb 23 01:16PM -0500

    I think that there is a happy medium between the two. I do believe that
    evaluation and iteration (based on evaluation findings) are at the core of
    good learning design, but, by the same token, I do ...more
    Apostolos Koutropoulos <a.koutr...@gmail.com> Feb 23 01:19PM -0500

    I found your phrasing quite interesting: "but all to often more time is
    taken evaluating rather than innovating"

    It sounds like analysis paralysis to me, something that can happen, but I ...more
    "Ida Brandão" <ida.m....@gmail.com> Feb 23 12:07PM -0800

    I think evaluation is one essencial step of learning design. The fast
    changes that occur with technology and its use requires us to revise and
    readapt. As we are in the process of developing ...more

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group olds-mooc-open.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.