A Comment on Blog entry - Summary of week 7

Bob Ridge-Stearn

Feb 28, 2013, 9:33:33 AM2/28/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I don't have permission to comment on the blog so will do so here.
(Why don't I have permission? Why have a blog at all? Why not post directly into the forum within a single thread called Weekly Summaries or similar?)

Anyway, in Yishay's entry Summary of week 7 (evaluate)  http://www.olds.ac.uk/blog/summaryofweek7evaluate , he says
"Frankly, we could have had a whole MOOC focused on evaluation (um, that's an idea...), just as we could run separate MOOCs for each of the other major facets of learning design (e.g., a whole MOOC on finding and integrating OERs). But just because the week focused on evaluation has ended does not mean that participants should cease their efforts to focus formative evaluation strategies on their still emerging learning designs. And as that work continues, we’ll be available to help as best we can."
I've commented before on the pace and timings of activities in this MOOC and think as a marketing tool it may be very good for the OU. It does race through it all but the pace does give us the big picture. I think you could run longer courses in the various aspects of learning design though not necessarily as MOOCs.  There may be enough people interested in certain of the aspects who are willing to pay for a course.  For example I might want to send a member of staff on a course about evaluation and another on a course about OERs.
However, I wouldn't expect them to have daily tasks but to be able to work on the course for half a day a week over say two or three months.

You're going to tell me now that the OU does offer these sorts of courses :-)

Best wishes,
Bob

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Feb 28, 2013, 12:00:22 PM2/28/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I think OERu has a MOOC on OER usage.  I think that each week could potentially be a MOOC onto its own, but it would get unwieldy to try to tie everything as part of one big OLDS MOOC :) This was a good 30,000ft view course, and participants can do more in-depth work from this place on.

I am a bit on the fence about longer courses.  I think an 8 week MOOC is "just right" in terms of brain-space.  Personally, after the 8th week I start getting a bit loopy. It doesn't matter if it's a MOOC or a for-credit course, 8 weeks is my "getting full" stage and I need to take some time to digest and work things out :)

I like the idea of a plenary, or taking a week "off" from the course and coming back to it later for reflection purposes.

2013/2/28 Bob Ridge-Stearn <bob.ridg...@newman.ac.uk>

Club Admiralty
Copyright 1996-2013
http://www.club-admiralty.com