monitor

Gina

Sep 9, 2008, 10:58:22 AM9/9/08
to Old Earth Creation Homeschool
Is anyone monitoring this group. If there continue to be obscene
posts, I will need to remove myself from the group.

Jennifer Vaughn

Sep 9, 2008, 1:55:52 PM9/9/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
What obscene posts?

--
Jennifer Vaughn
(714) 623-0862

Rusty Lopez

Sep 9, 2008, 9:35:18 PM9/9/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had any obscene posts come across either.

BTW, the group does seem to have minimal activity. Is anybody doing anything new and different for science, this year?

We're continuing with RealScience-4-Kids (www.gravitaspublications.com). As our oldest (8th grade) finishes it up, though, I've been wondering where to go next. I'd like to co-opt some material from Reasons to Believe, as well as independent sources. Something along the lines of this:

1) Journey Towards Creation (DVD); Creator & the Cosmos (book); God & the Astronomers (book)

2) The Privileged Planet (DVD & book); Rare Earth (book);

3) Defeating Darwinism (book); Show Me God (book); Dual Revelation (DVD)

Anyone have comments or ideas?

Rusty

Patrick Martin

Sep 9, 2008, 11:00:34 PM9/9/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com

Hello all.  I had written last year that I was doing Apologia General Science with my 7th grade daughter.  Well, we got to module 4 and I changed my mind!  Modules 5-8 are paleontology, geology, archaeology, etc.  Dr. Wile presents old earth ideas along with his young earth beliefs, but I just didn’t think the chapters were really substantive.  Add to that the fact that the end of the book is biology, which my daughter has done tons of, and I decided it was time for something else.  What I ended up doing was getting the book Earth by DK/Smithsonian.  She’ll read 15-20 pages per week and do some writing every other week and we’ll call it Earth Science.  The very beginning of the book assumes the truth of evolution.  I think it will be easier for me to have the kids learn from an evolutionary point of view and then discuss alternatives from there rather than vice versa.  Besides, I’m leaning toward theistic evolution myself.  I’m planning on having her do some reading on evolution, intelligent design, and various viewpoints of creationism in 11th or 12th grade and calling it philosophy of science.  In the meantime, I’m hoping to have her do biology, chemistry, and physics during her first three years of high school.

Rusty, I’m not real familiar with any of the books you’ve listed.  I’ll be interested in hearing what you decide and what you think about it.  We are doing RealScience4Kids physics with my 10 year old son.  He’s enjoying it pretty well, although we haven’t gotten around to the experiments yet.  I thought it was pretty pricey until I looked at buying regular high school textbooks on Amazon.  They are about $100!!  And, you have to deal with the fact that they are so politically correct and dumbed down that there’s probably not much of substance anyway.  So, I’ll keep on with the RealScience for my son for another year or two and just finding interesting things for my daughter – although I have heard some good things about Singapore Science.

Blessings,

Catherine

P.S. We haven’t gotten any objectionable posts from this group.

Rusty

Sep 9, 2008, 11:58:21 PM9/9/08
to Old Earth Creation Homeschool
Okay, Gina, I checked the Discussions section from Google Groups and
there are some obscene postings (and some members appear to not be
bonafide members). I don't have admin rights, but I'll let Theology
Mom know about it so she can clean it up.

Sorry for not catching those...

Rusty
> things for my daughter - although I have heard some good things about
> Singapore Science.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Catherine
>
> P.S. We haven't gotten any objectionable posts from this group.
>
>   _____

Rusty

Sep 10, 2008, 12:09:05 AM9/10/08
to Old Earth Creation Homeschool
Catherine,

Thanks for your comments. I suppose until we get some actual old earth-
based curriculum, we'll have to make do with our own inventions. Of
the books I listed, there's a mix of secular and Christian. As our
oldest gets into high school, I'd like to also move into the books
Darwin's Black Box, Darwin's God, Evolution: a Theory in Crisis, The
Fabric of the Cosmos, Origins of Life, Who was Adam?, Origin of
Species, etc.

I haven't yet read Fuz Rana's The Cell's Design, but I think it will
also be a winner.

On the apologetics side, I'd like to also co-opt material from Stand
to Reason (their Bible Fast Forward, From Truth to Experience, and
Truth in the Real World).

Another option I'm thinking of, kind of based on what you mention, is
to get one of those Roadside Geology books (e.g., Roadside Geology of
New Mexico) and use it either in our area or on roadtrip vacations.

Rusty

On Sep 9, 8:00 pm, "Patrick Martin" <pcmar...@charter.net> wrote:
> things for my daughter - although I have heard some good things about
> Singapore Science.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Catherine
>
> P.S. We haven't gotten any objectionable posts from this group.
>
>   _____

Theology Mom

Sep 14, 2008, 12:35:47 PM9/14/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
I have now given Rusty full "ownership" rights to keep this forum clean when I'm not around. Sorry about that.

Theology Mom

--
Theology Mom
oldearthcreationism.blogspot.com