introduction

ali

Sep 20, 2008, 10:48:24 AM9/20/08
to Old Earth Creation Homeschool
I joined this group some time back, but I can't remember if I've ever
posted an introduction. I am a christian homeschooling Mom of 3 young
boys - 9,6, and 4. I began our homeschool journey teaching from a
young earth perspective, which I didn't know anything about really
except that I had been told that it is what christians believe. After
becoming more informed, I became concerned with the confrontational
tone in which YE is taught and also that it seemed to be based on
conspiracy theories. The more involved I got with the christian
homeschool community, the more conspiracy theorists I met. I want my
children to be well-informed and literate, I don't want to give them a
one-sided fear based education. This is what led me to try and study
different perspectives and decide for myself what I believe. I
enjoyed Francis Collins 'The language of God' and found it compelling.
I am on the fence right now as to whether I am 'old earth' or
'theistic evolution' - but I am comfortable there. I am sure that I
don't believe that there is a big conspiracy in the scientific
community. I am interested in learning about new science curriculums
as they come out. I currently use a mixture of Sonlight and My
Father's World - both of which use Apologia as part of their science
curriculum. I'm not really sure how I will address this - up until
now we have just done nature study and habitats.
Alison

Jennifer Vaughn

Sep 20, 2008, 12:11:13 PM9/20/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
lol  I've never heard someone describe the attitude with reference to "conspiracy theories," but that does seem accurate.  One thing that YEC, along with every other position, suffers from is pride.  There's also too much of a "let's win arguments" mindset rather than a "let's make a real difference" mindset.  Kids of any persuation are sent out into the world with a perscribed package of cookie-cutter arguments, and then are totally shocked when their classmates, professors, neighbors, and others aren't the least bit convinced.  -JAV

Heather Isenhower

Sep 21, 2008, 2:38:50 PM9/21/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Alison. Thank you for your introduction.

I like the connection you make between conspiracy theories and YE,
because I have observed it myself, although I never put it in those
terms. The common factor seems to be fear, fear of government takeover,
fear of God losing His children to secular thinking. It is hard to
combat fear, especially if fellow believers that we often respect in
other ways are propagating it. Dh and I also supported the YE position
many, many years ago, until dh (a medical physicist) started identifying
weak evidence and arguments. We had read some of Hugh Ross' material and
began noticing that he was not supported and often vilified by the YE
proponents. The hostility I encountered over and over--toward OE'ers in
general and Hugh Ross in particular-- made me heartsick for the body of
Christ; it still does.

Welcome to the group. It tends to be quiet, but all the posts are
helpful and meaningful.

Heather, hs mom since 1999 to nine children, 15yo and under, Sonlighter,
very grateful for this OE email group

Heather Isenhower

Sep 21, 2008, 3:21:36 PM9/21/08
to old-earth-crea...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jennifer. A mom that I know is an avid classical hs'er. On one
hand, she wants her children to study logic so that they can identify
problems with secular worldview arguements, but on the other hand, they
are not taught to apply that same logic to the bible and science. She is
adamant that they adhere to YE arguements. I don't think she sees the
inconsistency in her approach.

Watching her has taught me that I want to raise my children for the
Lord, but I don't want to indoctrinate them either. They must choose to
believe, love and serve Him because it is their heart's desire, not
because they are afraid of being on the "losing side" of an arguement or
afraid of disapproval from other believers. Otherwise, how are we
different from radical Islamic terrorists?

In our family we try to challenge our teenagers to defend their
statements (admittedly parroted many times) about evolution, creation,
politics, theology, whatever. They are beginning to see that they really
haven't studied enough to have an well informed opinion and are mostly
being (obnoxious) "know it alls". Having walked that road myself and
seen the folly in it, I am hoping to help them to be a bit more humble
and a lot more bearable. After all, none of us has ALL the truth.

Heather :)