So then...

Jack Allnutt

Oct 22, 2006, 8:06:20 AM10/22/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, well it seems Journeyman is done with the project. We need somebody
to take the reins and lead this project, I would do it but I don't think
I have the technical expertise to do, as I've never handled a large
project before but if nobody else comes forward I'll have to at least try.

I'm currently keeping the IRC channel open, but there are only 3 people
in there at the moment - please come and chat. #okopipi on
irc.undernet.org. Although, I'm thinking Undernet may not be the best
place anymore, we shall see.

Poltergeist: How far along is your prototype?

To what used to be the steering comity: How many of you are left, and
what can you still commit to the project?

I think we should get an SVN repo open and to start committing code,
poltergeist's code may be a suitable starting platform for this.
Previously I think we talked the project into abandonment, whilst the
need to plan what needs to be done is clear, we spent far too long
talking about what needed to be done and a lot less actually doing it.

-- Ehm

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0642-5, 20/10/2006
Tested on: 22/10/2006 13:06:22

Kirk Z Bailey

Oct 24, 2006, 12:46:14 PM10/24/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
Wired has a nice article in the new edition about Blue Frog's battle.
Some intresting information is disclosed in it.

This is extorsion, organized crime, an entire flotilla of felonies. Is
there no justice? Are the criminals going to win, and run the Internet?

--
end

Very Truly yours,
- Kirk Bailey,
Largo Florida

kniht
+-----+
| BOX |
+-----+
think

Poltergeist

Oct 24, 2006, 11:35:14 PM10/24/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
At the moment it looks like I'll have plenty of time
for Okopipi in February, and almost no time before
then.

I know for sure that eventually I /will/ have the
necessary time. There's no doubt about that. I just
don't know with any exactness when that will be.

The long time span does not mean that I might forget
about Okopipi and abandon it. I'm far too annoyed by
spammers. I'm also far too eager to see my beautiful
ideas implemented and running.

I hope everybody who is waiting will have patience and
will stay subscribed, so you'll know when things start
moving.

Unfortunately my prototype is not yet in any shape that
would make it a suitable starting platform for development.

It would be very nice if others would start a competing
frog. Then the two frogs could borrow solutions and code
from each other. At the same time they could engage in
friendly competition.

If that doesn't happen, please have patience. Whatever
happens, my prototype /will/ appear eventually.

--
Poltergeist

thematrixeatsyou (Developer)

Oct 25, 2006, 2:46:18 AM10/25/06
to okopipi-discuss
I just need a basic prototype and then I can work off that - IF I can
keep motivated.

I reckon #okopipi should go back to freenode - I don't use Undernet.

Ehm

Oct 25, 2006, 8:55:51 AM10/25/06
to okopipi-discuss
thematrixeatsyou (Developer) wrote:
> I reckon #okopipi should go back to freenode - I don't use Undernet.

I'm inclined to agree slightly. I don't believe that Okopipi is any
threat to the network whatsoever, and won't be for some time to come
(when we start kicking spammer's asses)

Nathan

Oct 25, 2006, 12:02:11 PM10/25/06
to okopipi-discuss
Sounds good. Seeing as how it seems that Freenode has locked the
Okopipi channel down, maybe some other network that you use/we can
register the name on?

Quick question to all you developers out there - what resources do you
need/want. I'm not talking money, hardware, or anything like that
(sorry, college student here). What I am talking about is what would
you all like to aid you in development. Would an SVN repository, other
forums, easily accessible documentation, etc. help you out?

Nathan

Paul Herring

Oct 25, 2006, 5:00:34 PM10/25/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
How about a stable communication point? For *anyone* interested in the project.

I subscribed to GGroups (until now, from what I've seen, the most stable - I can only access it by email)
And the message board that didn't take off.
Now there's an IRC channel that can't decide where it's to be hosted...
I dread to think what other sources of information I haven't seen.

I /could/ help with development, but so far i have been lurking for the past 6 months, and as far as I've seen the organisation of/communication within the project has been as dispersed as the proposed network for dealing with the spam has been.

--
PJH

Sick of spam? http://www.knujon.com/

Nathan Clayton

Oct 25, 2006, 5:40:33 PM10/25/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com

Just stick with the GGroups. It's not going away any time soon, and
everything else either is temporal without logs (IRC), or not viewed
by as many people (forums). Personally, it's really the only place
that I can keep up with, as it's a lot easier to read email than sit
around an IRC channel or keep having to check back on a forum page.

Also, as to the organization, I'm pretty open to the idea that anyone
who wants to help out can. I figure that a good amount of eyes looking
at the code could pick out something malicious pretty easily, and
anything that's so hard to read that something malicious could be
hiding in there probably shouldn't be in the codebase to begin with.

If you want to get started coding, even if it's just to create a
skeleton of how you feel the files should be laid out, feel free to. I
can get you SVN access to svn.okopipi.org without a problem to host
the files for you.

Nathan

Journeyman

Nov 13, 2006, 11:30:10 AM11/13/06
to okopipi-discuss
Undernet channel is registered for one, also Okopipi got kicked off
(asked to leave) Freenode as we where a security risk. As lame as it
sounds that is just the way it is.

sailmonsoon

Dec 8, 2006, 9:16:30 PM12/8/06
to okopipi-discuss
There are a large number of professional and technical people who are
anxious to do something to help this project. I have volunteered to
help with coding and database development, but haven't heard a peep.

Whoever takes the helm of this ship, please let us know what we can do.

Cheers!

Bill

Ehm

Dec 9, 2006, 8:19:56 AM12/9/06
to okopipi-discuss
I think what this project needs is *something* written code-wise that
everyone to build off of. And/or someone to write to write a technical
specification (akin to an RFC; Not a white-paper on the theory behind
the network) for everyone else to build off of...

Scott Thompson

Dec 11, 2006, 9:09:17 AM12/11/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
I think this group has become a ship without water. There seems to be
no direction, no leadership, no functionality and even less patience
from those that still monitor it. In fact, it's become a bitch session
of "well he said this" and "He said that". I can only guess that the
SPAM people are rolling on the floor laughing about the whole thing.

I've personally seen my SPAM count more than triple in the past few
weeks from 80 a day to well over 250 a day and our company's SPAM do the
same. I think it's time for those that are left here to seriously think
about either finding a new project to put our time into or really get
something substantial to get behind.

Scott

David Eckert

Dec 11, 2006, 11:59:16 AM12/11/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
Well, none-the-less I have requested an SVN account from Journeyman to
get started on the web portion of the web interface plug-in so maybe
that will be the ignition to the project, as for the prototype,
someones going to have to pull something together using the GNUnet
preferably and put together the server daemon somehow using the
information already discussed and planned over the year. As for my
access, I still await a response from my request.

--
-David W. Eckert

Kirk Z Bailey

Dec 11, 2006, 2:00:59 PM12/11/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
WEll, if we locate the spamperps, there's always parking lot therapy...

Nathan

Dec 12, 2006, 6:27:49 PM12/12/06
to okopipi-discuss
On Dec 11, 8:59 am, "David Eckert" <davy20...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, none-the-less I have requested an SVN account from Journeyman to
> get started on the web portion of the web interface plug-in so maybe
> that will be the ignition to the project, as for the prototype,
> someones going to have to pull something together using the GNUnet
> preferably and put together the server daemon somehow using the
> information already discussed and planned over the year. As for my
> access, I still await a response from my request.

You should be receiving a reply from me off-board with an SVN account
and login info.

Nathan

David Eckert

Dec 13, 2006, 3:32:59 PM12/13/06
to okopipi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I will begin my work sometime in a day or 2 when time allows

--
-David W. Eckert