Re: GNUnet & Okopipi

Kevin Winter

Aug 19, 2006, 3:44:33 PM8/19/06
to Nils Durner, okopi...@googlegroups.com
On 8/19/06, Nils Durner <ndu...@web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have found a posting from you discussing a fork of GNUnet...
>
> > I understand your point, however, i do not beleive this is polite.
> GNUnet is a framework, so why should developing a plugin be impolite?

Actually, that specific response was concerning using an established
GNUnet to hide our okopipi client in.

> > I think a better way
> > to do it (going along with keeping *GNUnet* a core componenet instead of
> > a fork) is to make okopipi a series of patches based on *GNUnet*.
> The *best* way would be to start talking to the GNUnet developers.

*nods* this is quite true. we're still at the rough design stages
and need to go over the code before we decide how to proceed. Once
we're familiar with how GNUnet works, we'll prolly starting
implementing features we need and submit patches in case you wish to
add them yourselves. We would like to make this a standalone client,
and not try to make GNUnet into our image.

> > These
> > patches would add portability (as of right now they only official
> > support debian linux;
> The lack of binary packages doesn't mean other platforms are not
> supported...

Yes, as i see to my chagrin upon looking at your website and download
section. That greatly simplifies what our first task would have been:
adding portability to other architectures. mea cupla.

> > windows porting has "reports" of success),
> Where's this information from? Windows is officially supported for two
> years now.

I admit i only skimmed through your FAQ.
http://gnunet.org/faq.php3?xlang=English#platform
I also mixed up the OSx and win32 ports, my bad.

> Best,
>
> Nils Durner
> GNUnet core developer

Thanks for contacting me. As i said before, we're still in the early
design phases. Once we go over the GNUnet code (and figure out
exactly what we want ourselves), we'll likely have a good number of
questions for the GNUnet project.

Whats your first impression of our idea of using GNUnet as a basis for
our client/project?

--
Open Source, Open Mind