New Project Leader

1 view

Christopher Parker

Dec 23, 2006, 8:40:19 AM12/23/06
to okopipi-dev
[ originally posted on http://www.okopipi.org/forummsg/123 ]

To the current project leader:

We all obviously appreciate the work that's being done on this project.
However, at this point, I think this project's at a point where people
are giving up and turning their attention elsewhere. Why don't you
start bringing more people on board? Why don't you release a snapshot
of what you have now, even though it may not work? Even if it's only a
couple of lines!!! We don't care! We want to see some results! We all
understand a working professional's time constraints, but we're at the
point now where you should either put out or get out. We will support
you every step of the way, regardless of the current state of things.
But we need to see action, and we need to see it NOW. A code snapshot.
A link to a CVS/SVN repository. More activity on the front page.
Something. In a professional atmosphere, if someone isn't doing their
job, they get fired. Just because this is a volunteer gig doesn't mean
people still can't get the boot. So, if we're all just waiting on
someone to get their act together, maybe it's time to find someone else
who's competent enough to walk the walk.

Am I volunteering? I don't think so! I have a full-time job and a
family, too. I understand the pressure you're under. Which is why you
need to either make time for this project or step down as leader and
let someone else with the know-how take the reigns. There's no question
about it. You did say this project is up for grabs, however you didn't
say how to post results, host code, etc. If you're willing to step down
as project leader, say so, and the community will find someone who will
be able to make this project successful. You already have a good
portion of the code written for you, as the Blue Frog client was free
software. If you don't have the source for it, ask around. Someone's
bound to still have it lying around somewhere. Slashdot works great for
this sort of thing.

No malice against you. Again, I'm grateful you took the initiative with
starting something. But now that something is stagnant and in danger of
dying. As the project leader, you are largely responsible for this, and
you need to do what is necessary in order to see to it that this
project lives on. Even if that means handing the keys to everything
over to someone else.

Journeyman

Dec 30, 2006, 4:46:30 PM12/30/06
to okopipi-dev
well if you are not volunteering for the job you shouldn't really be
saying anything.
also if you ever read the front page, or the forum you might have a
clue on what is going on. I (the project leader) have stepped aside
and allowed for anyone to come forward. Everything that has been made
for the okopipi is posted, try reading the forum.

http://digitalparanoid.com/~matt/okopipi-2.0.1.pdf