Unable to boot using custom rhcos-live.x86_64.iso

Sunny Anthony

Jun 23, 2021, 3:48:32 AMJun 23
to okd-wg
Hi Experts,

Trying to boot the VMs like bootstrap, Master and worker nodes using customised  rhcos-live.x86_64.iso following below steps.  But VMs are not boot as expected and showing error as shown in screenshot. Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

https://examples.openshift.pub/cluster-installation/adjust-rhcos.iso/
  1. mount rhcos-4.5.6-x86_64-installer.x86_64.iso /mnt/
  2. mkdir /tmp/rhcos
  3. rsync -a /mnt/* /tmp/rhcos/
  4. cd /tmp/rhcos
  5. Using Vi editor, Edit isolinux/isolinux.cfg
  6. Re-Build ISO using below command.
genisoimage -U -A "RHCOS-x86_64" -V "RHCOS-x86_64"  -volset "RHCOS-x86_64"  -J -joliet-long -r -v -T -x ./lost+found -o /tmp/rhcos-4.5.6-x86_64-installer-custom.x86_64.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e images/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot .

OCP-LiveCD-custom_error.png

Adarsh J

Jun 23, 2021, 10:52:40 AMJun 23
to Sunny Anthony, okd-wg
hi,

I think you may have to share full boot logs to diagnose the problem. We usually use Fedora CoreOS to install okd and it may give you a better result.

I've seen similar looking errors in my setup earlier when there was some networking failure (like failure to get DHCP lease or failing to load url referenced in your kernel cmdline etc).

Regards,
Adarsh J

Sunny Anthony

Jul 6, 2021, 3:05:29 AMJul 6
to okd-wg
Hi,

I'm using RHCOS live cd and trying to automate the OCP deployment. Any other pointer which we can check ?

Regards,
Sunny

Sunny Anthony

Jul 9, 2021, 8:40:47 AMJul 9
to okd-wg
Hi Adar,

Please guide, how to take the boot logs from emergency shell so that i can share the same with you.

Regards,
Sunny

Charro Gruver

Jul 9, 2021, 10:55:13 AMJul 9
to okd-wg
Sunny, are you trying to install OCP or OKD?

If OKD, then note that it will replace your RHCOS install with FCOS anyway.  So, it would be better to start with FCOS.

The install script in my single node cluster example creates customized FCOS images.  You might be able to harvest something out of that to solve your problem.

Mario Gamboa

Jul 10, 2021, 12:17:39 AMJul 10
to okd-wg
This is what use for pxeboot via http for deliver the rootfs the vmlinuz and the initramfs is deliver via tftp and because i'm using http the ignition file need to have the option of insecure i hope works for you i'm using rhcos and fcos also for okd and ocp in my menu

LABEL Install Bootstrap Openshift
     MENU default
     kernel rhcos/vmlinuz
     append  initrd=rhcos/initramfs.img coreos.live.rootfs_url=http://10.139.203.100:8080/rhcos-rootfs.img coreos.inst.install_dev=/dev/sda coreos.inst.ignition_url=http://10.139.203.100:8080/bootstrap.ign --insecure-ignition

Sunny Anthony

Jul 13, 2021, 3:47:40 AMJul 13
to okd-wg
Yes, I'm using coreos .inst.insecure flag for deploying rhcos on worker/master nodes.

But when I edit the grub.menu with "coreos.inst.install_dev=/dev/sda coreos.inst.ignition_url=http://10.139.203.100:8080/bootstrap.ign --insecure-ignition" and making the ISO boot process automatic , it is stuck and not able to boot as expected.

Mario Gamboa

Jul 13, 2021, 9:10:51 PMJul 13
to okd-wg
hey mate did you get the pxeboot images from the live cd because if you get the images as stand alone from the website it's fail

Sunny Anthony

Jul 14, 2021, 6:10:51 AMJul 14
to okd-wg
Yes, these are getting downloaded from website.