OKD additional packages/rpm

Bala C

Sep 30, 2022, 5:11:45 AM9/30/22
to okd-wg
Hi Guys,

Good Day! We installed additional packages/rpm eg.. zabbix etc after setup the cluster. So now whenever we go for the cluster upgrade we need to uninstall the additional packages or changes so that machine config operator will not be in degraded state. So is there any way we can install additional packages permanently and like update that to machine config operator so that it will takecare even if we go for upgrade?
We are using OKD 4.7 and upgrading to OKD 4.10.
Appreciate any input on this please.

Thanks,
Bala C

Brendan Shephard

Sep 30, 2022, 5:20:51 AM9/30/22
to Bala C, okd-wg
Hey Bala,

The expectation would be that such applications are run as pods within Kubernetes rather than trying to run binaries directly on the nodes. The purpose behind shipping specific rpm-ostree images is such that we can deploy a reliable OS for the platform. We test all packages for each release together as one cohesive platform. So for that reason, we wouldn’t want to be installing any additional binaries on the nodes themselves.

If you don’t want to use the prometheus deployment that we deploy with he platform for monitoring, then I would suggest deploying Zabbix as a deployment on top of OKD. You can use Kubernetes constructs to provide the Zabbix pods with as much or as little access to the underlying hardware as you like. Doing it this way will ensure the underlying OS remains stable and consistent, while ensuring you are still able to upgrade reliably via the standard upgrade process.

Brendan Shephard
Senior Software Engineer
Brisbane, Australia

Bala C

Sep 30, 2022, 7:09:26 AM9/30/22
to okd-wg
Thanks a lot for the reply, yes that make sense, only thought we have is if any issue in cluster like network or something, we wont be having metrics of the server.

Thanks,
Bala C

Colin Walters

Sep 30, 2022, 10:57:59 AM9/30/22
to Bala C, okd-wg
On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 5:11 AM Bala C <bal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Good Day! We installed additional packages/rpm eg.. zabbix etc after setup the cluster. So now whenever we go for the cluster upgrade we need to uninstall the additional packages or changes so that machine config operator will not be in degraded state. So is there any way we can install additional packages permanently and like update that to machine config operator so that it will takecare even if we go for upgrade?

Bala C

Oct 3, 2022, 5:35:54 PM10/3/22
to okd-wg
Thanks for sharing, will consider the upgrade. Thanks