Equations not extracted in Word file

Manuel Souto Pico

Jan 17, 2022, 11:07:54 AM1/17/22
to okapi-users
Dear all,

I am translating a Word file that contains some equations, but the Okapi OpenXML filter doesn't see to extract them and therefore I cannot translate them or re-position them in OmegaT.

Is there any filter option to change this behaviour?

Thanks.
Manuel

Chase Tingley

Jan 17, 2022, 4:31:35 PM1/17/22
to Manuel Souto Pico, okapi-users
Hi Manuel,

I don't think there's an option for this, although I also thought we should be extracting them by default.  Do you have a sample file that's safe to share?

Manuel Souto Pico

Jan 17, 2022, 5:45:51 PM1/17/22
to Chase Tingley, okapi-users
Thank you, Chase.

Please find attached a bundle containing a sample Word file with a couple of equation boxes, and a Rainbow project and the prepared XLIFF.

Cheers, Manuel
equations.zip

Chase Tingley

Feb 21, 2022, 8:50:48 PM2/21/22
to Manuel Souto Pico, okapi-users
Thanks Manuel.

As a translator, do you generally have a need to actually modify translations, or simply reposition them?  (ie, is exposing as a tag enough?)  Exposing for translation would be possible, but it would produce a complex tag structure, probably something like

Manuel Souto Pico

Mar 10, 2024, 6:36:56 PMMar 10
to Chase Tingley, okapi-users
Hi Chase,

(My answer had not been sent to the list, re-sending now).

Repositioning them is always likely to be necessary in languages that don't have the same syntactical order as the source language.

With regards to modifying the content of the equation, again it might depend on whether the target language uses the same, say, decimal separators as the source language.

For example, 2.95 should be 2,95 in many Roman languages (notice the comma).

It might also depend on the type of text. A textbook is likely to follow these rules more strictly than a scientific paper.

An option in the filter configuration file that allows the user to expose it or not would be ideal.

A complex tag structure is often the case anyway for this kind of math notation (outside of equation boxes), at least with the default OmegaT OpenXML filter. Translators must rely on previewing the source file (and/or the target files) to see what the equation looks like.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Manuel

Chase Tingley

Mar 11, 2024, 2:03:25 AMMar 11
to Manuel Souto Pico, okapi-users
Hi Manuel,

Apologies for not responding to this sooner.  Thanks for your explanation, I think we should file an enhancement on it.

Chase Tingley

Mar 11, 2024, 6:06:55 PMMar 11
to Manuel Souto Pico, okapi-users

Manuel Souto Pico