Microsoft LCX ↔ XLIFF conversion

Jean-Christophe Helary

Feb 19, 2022, 8:26:27 AM2/19/22
to okapi-users
Hello list !

An OmegaT user is having to deal with LCX files and the only references I found were two papers, one dating from 2010 and the other from 2013, from the same Mr. Wasala of University of Limerick.

I could not find anything else and the default filters in Okapi do not seem to handle LCX.

What's the best way to deal with them ?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

Mihai Nita

Feb 23, 2022, 4:23:11 PM2/23/22
to Jean-Christophe Helary, okapi-users
Looks like a proprietary MS format (Microsoft Localization Studio)

Over the years I've tried to get a copy to play with it myself, but I didn't manage.
(not even when I was an MS i18n MVP :-)

Apparently MS provides it to translators (translation companies?) while signing an NDA, and they are not allowed to share / talk about it.

Some sites seem to indicate that the file and also contains dialog resizing information for .rc files.
  (or one of the docs from Mr. Wasala? I don't know, I've spent too much trying to read all I can find about it, which is not much)

So, short story: proprietary, undocumented, secretive format, restricted access to the tool producing it.
I think the odds that Okapi or someone else can convert that to XLIFF / back are slim to none.

> What's the best way to deal with them ?

I suppose there is no official way to get such files other than from MS.
And in that case MS would also give access to the tool.

Mihai

Jean-Christophe Helary

Mar 4, 2022, 8:15:30 PM3/4/22
to Mihai Nita, okapi-users
Thank you Mihai for the thorough answer.

The person was trying to handle them in OmegaT, I think she eventually found a way.

Jean-Christophe