[Feature request] Dark mode, Rainbow, Windows,

piotrbienkowski

Nov 16, 2023, 6:42:16 AM11/16/23
to okapi-users
is it possible to enable the dark mode in Okapi Rainbow on Windows?

If not could it be implemented please?

My eyes cannot stand the bright UI any more.

A workaround is to use the magnifier with inverted colors, but it inverts back to white anything else that is black

Wei Jiang

Nov 16, 2023, 9:48:53 AM11/16/23
to piotrbienkowski, okapi-users

piotrbienkowski

Nov 16, 2023, 12:54:53 PM11/16/23
to okapi-users
You got it wrong Wei Jiang. I don't want warmer colors of a bright screen at night. I want white text on a black background in Okapi Rainbow.  I'v already got it in most of my apps on Windows (and Linux too), but Okapi Rainbow is a Java-based app and plays according to its own rules, i.e. it does not obey the Windows dark theme).

Jimbo

Nov 16, 2023, 4:45:24 PM11/16/23
to piotrbienkowski, okapi-users

That's strange on my GTK Linux OS all the Okapi apps match the dark theme I have on my OS. Maybe SWT on Windows has an issue.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee or have received this e-mail in error, please notify Straker immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose, distribute or otherwise act in reliance upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments. Straker will not be held liable for any damage caused by the message.
Is it necessary to print this email? If you care about the environment like we do, please refrain from printing emails. It helps to keep the environment forested and litter-free.

piotrbienkowski

Nov 16, 2023, 4:54:19 PM11/16/23
to okapi-users
So maybe I should run okapi rainbow in the Linux subsystem on Windows, or on my Linux computer. :-)

Jimbo

Nov 16, 2023, 6:23:17 PM11/16/23
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

It's worth a try. We need to update our SWT versions - I just tried that but it created a lot of compile errors.

Jim

--
Jim Hargrave
Software Engineer

W: www.strakertranslations.com
E: jim.ha...@strakergroup.com

Jimbo

Nov 17, 2023, 2:02:46 PM11/17/23
to piotrbienkowski, okapi-users

I upgraded the SWT version for 1.46.0 - but I still don't see dark mode working on Windows. Probably some setting - but this will need to be looked at in the future.

On 11/16/23 14:54, piotrbienkowski wrote:
--
Jim Hargrave
Software Engineer

W: www.strakertranslations.com
E: jim.ha...@strakergroup.com

piotrbienkowski

Nov 17, 2023, 2:13:17 PM11/17/23
to okapi-users
Looking forward to it. I appreciate your efforts.

piotrbienkowski

Mar 6, 2024, 4:24:08 AMMar 6
to okapi-users
Hi,

Any good news about the dark mode? :-)

Jim Hargrave

Mar 6, 2024, 12:08:06 PMMar 6
to piotrbienkowski, okapi-users

It looks like SWT on Windows will not support this. Basically SWT has gone into maintenance mode. I don't expect much development on it in the future.

piotrbienkowski

Mar 14, 2024, 6:18:56 PMMar 14
to okapi-users
Then I guess I'll have to learn how to run rainbow stuff from the command line, which is white on black ;-)