Strange behavior of xliff 1.2 filter

Marc Mittag

Feb 19, 2024, 1:32:59 PMFeb 19
to okapi-users

Dear all,

I hope very much, that someone can help me here.

I have the attached file

test-for-okapi-mailing-list.xliff

I parse it with the xliff parser settings in Rainbow, that you see in attached image.

Then I get the resulting also attached file

test-for-okapi-mailing-list.xliff.xlf

What is strange for me, is that every segment is doubled.

Instead of 1 trans-unit I get 2 like the example shows:

In input xliff I have:

<trans-unit id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit" resname="StructureGroupLang.Name">
                  <source xml:lang="de">Test zu übersetzen</source>
                  <target xml:lang="fr" maxlength="250">Test à traduire</target>
                </trans-unit>

In output xlf I have:

<group id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_ssf1" resname="sub-filter:StructureGroupLang.Name">
<trans-unit id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_sf1_tu1" resname="StructureGroupLang.Name_1">
<source xml:lang="de">Test zu übersetzen</source>
<seg-source><mrk mid="0" mtype="seg">Test zu übersetzen</mrk></seg-source>
<target xml:lang="fr"></target>
</trans-unit>
</group>
<group id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_ssf2" resname="sub-filter:StructureGroupLang.Name">
<trans-unit id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_sf2_tu1" resname="StructureGroupLang.Name_1">
<source xml:lang="de">Test à traduire</source>
<seg-source><mrk mid="0" mtype="seg">Test à traduire</mrk></seg-source>
<target xml:lang="fr"></target>
</trans-unit>
</group>

Yet I would have expected in output xlf something like

<group id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_ssf1" resname="sub-filter:StructureGroupLang.Name">
<trans-unit id="some-id-of-the-xliff-trans-unit_sf1_tu1" resname="StructureGroupLang.Name_1">
<source xml:lang="de">Test zu übersetzen</source>
<seg-source><mrk mid="0" mtype="seg">Test zu übersetzen</mrk></seg-source>
<target xml:lang="fr">Test à traduire</target>
</trans-unit>
</group>

Does someone know, what is wrong here? Do I miss some setting or is this a bug?

I'm using Rainbow 1.46

Would be great, if someone could help, thank you very much in advance

best

Marc

test-for-okapi-mailing-list.xliff
test-for-okapi-mailing-list.xliff.xlf

Chase Tingley

Feb 19, 2024, 4:25:10 PMFeb 19
to Marc Mittag, okapi-users
This is quite strange, I can't reproduce the problem locally with either Tikal or Rainbow, despite trying to recreate your config from the screenshots.

When you defined the custom XLIFF filter config, it should have created a .fprm file somewhere (possibly your home directory) -- can you attach that to the thread?

Also, when I was testing in Rainbow, my pipeline looked like:
- Raw Document to Filter Events
- Rainbow Translation Kit Creation [default options - Generic XLIFF]

Are you doing anything different?

Marc Mittag

Feb 19, 2024, 4:37:48 PMFeb 19
to Chase Tingley, okapi-users

Hi Chase,

thank you very much for looking into this!!!

Attached you find the 2 created fprm files and my pipline file.

Does that clarify your questions?

I modified some paths in the files to not disclose clients data. But the rest is like it is in Rainbow.

best

Marc

okf_html@test-for-pim-xliff-html-subfilter.fprm
okf_xliff@test-pim-xliff.fprm
test.pln

Chase Tingley

Feb 19, 2024, 6:11:14 PMFeb 19
to Marc Mittag, okapi-users
Interesting!  This looks like it may be a bug with the pcdataSubfilter option in the XLIFF filter -- I can reproduce with tikal (ie, without your pipeline) using the provided filter configs, but if I clear the pcdataSubfilter option, the bug goes away.

Can you file an issue?

Sivaji

Mar 11, 2024, 2:21:33 PMMar 11
to Marc Mittag, okapi-users
Hi ,

Is it feasible to integrate world server with DeepL ...  does it make sense?

Regards,
Sivaji

Marc Mittag

Mar 11, 2024, 3:57:02 PMMar 11
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Sivaji

Hi Sivaji,

since you also wrote to me directly, I'll answer here and on the list.

I think, yes sure it makes sense, if you use Worldserver.

Yet I wonder, why you write this question to this list, since the list is about Okapi?

On how to do that or more questions about this I think you would have to ask RWS.

As for us, we at translate5 have deeply integrated DeepL and are using Okapi as filter conversion framework.

If someone is looking for a modern, open source Worldserver alternative, she/he would be right with us. Would be in good company with others, who already switched from Worldserver to us :-)

best

Marc

Chase Tingley

Mar 11, 2024, 5:43:11 PMMar 11
to Marc Mittag, okapi...@googlegroups.com, Sivaji
It's possible this was directed here because there are some wrappers around various Okapi MT connectors to run them through WorldServer's SDK interface:

I think DeepL could probably be adapted in this way.