question on xliff 2 ignorable...

jimbo

Apr 18, 2022, 11:23:45 AM4/18/22
to Group: okapi-devel
  <segment id="s12">
        <source xml:space="preserve">Select the export directory.</source>
        <target xml:space="preserve">Selezionare la directory di esportazione.</target>
    </segment>
    <ignorable>
        <source xml:space="preserve"> </source>
        <!-- missing target ignorable -->
    </ignorable>
  </segment>

We are getting files with only a source ignorable, but there is always a target segment. Current the xliff 2 filter will create the target segments (many in one unit) without any whitespace in between (since no target ignorable exists).  Is the expected behavior to use the source ignorable content for the target if an explicit one does not exist? Or is it always expected to have a target ignorable when there are targets?

I assumed the latter. But maybe current practice is not to duplicate the ignorable content if it is the same between source and target?

Jim

yves.s...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2022, 7:18:38 AM4/19/22
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim,

Yes, if I recall correctly, the target is optional in ignorable.

When that’s the case we use the source on merge.

-ys