Possible solution for minor releases of Okapi modules and filter version management?...

1 view

jimbo

Sep 19, 2022, 1:40:30 PMSep 19
to Group: okapi-devel
Now that we are using Java 11 we have access to Java's module support
(https://www.baeldung.com/java-9-modularity)

This article is a nice overview - if maven supports Java modules perhaps
it would allow us to automatically deploy our artifacts based on
dependencies defined in the modules?

If nothing else have a modules file would make our dependencies clear
and would act as documentation.

https://www.baeldung.com/maven-multi-module-project-java-jpms

Jim

jimbo

Sep 19, 2022, 1:40:47 PMSep 19
to Group: okapi-devel

jimbo

Sep 22, 2022, 12:33:08 PMSep 22
to Group: okapi-devel
Researching this more I don't believe Java module's buys us anything in
terms of easier deployment. Having module definitions (module-info.java)
would make explicit our encapsulation rules and help us to detect cyclic
dependencies and other unwanted behaviors - so would be generally useful
- but the amount of work probably wouldn't be justified at this point.

For minor version releases (which we have avoided) the best practice
still seems to be to release all modules under the new version - even if
only one module has changed :-( Sad, I was hoping the state of the art
had advanced.

Jim