Google announces end-of-life for Google Code

Chase Tingley

Mar 12, 2015, 1:17:03 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/google-to-close-google-code-open-source-project-hosting/

The open source project hosting service will no longer be accepting new project submissions as of today, will no longer be accepting updates to existing projects from August 24, and will be closed entirely on January 25, 2016.

Projects become read-only on August 24.

ct

Yves Savourel

Mar 12, 2015, 1:49:00 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the information Chase.

I guess GitHub will be the best bet for migration.

-ys

Jim Hargrave

Mar 12, 2015, 2:25:03 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub.

Jim

Chase Tingley

Mar 12, 2015, 5:31:00 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
They seem to be pushing github, as they have an exporter for it that will export issues, etc: https://code.google.com/export-to-github/

Jim Hargrave

Mar 12, 2015, 7:35:58 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
What will happen to our issue file attachments? Last year when we discussed moving to github this was the one missing feature - but maybe github has added this now?

Jim
--
( I maintain that cosmic religiousness is )
( the strongest and most noble driving    )

Chase Tingley

Mar 12, 2015, 7:39:48 PM3/12/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering this too.  AFAIK github hasn't added text attachments to issues, and the response I got on twitter when I asked last year implied it wasn't really on the roadmap.

Aaron Madlon-Kay

Mar 14, 2015, 12:17:27 AM3/14/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
+1 for GitHub for me as well.

I know you can attach images to issues and pull requests. I forget if arbitrary files are supported.

-Aaron

Chase Tingley

Mar 14, 2015, 12:27:43 AM3/14/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure they're still not supported.  Text files can be pasted into a gist and linked; other files need to be hosted somewhere else.  If we took testcases via email we could put them in a dummy repository and link to them, although that is sort of ridiculous.

I get the sense that there's some sort of abuse concern that github has about allowing arbitrary file issue attachments, but I'm not sure what it is.

Jim Hargrave

Mar 17, 2015, 3:35:43 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
We should request a free JIRA account to host our issue tracking and task planning. Eclipse has a great JIRA plugin that I use at work and more importantly attachments are supported.

If we do get a JIRA account I think we also get a bitbucket (git) account. This is what we use at work. The JIRA+bitbucket integration is really nice. For example, from a ticket in JIRA you can create  branch and have them linked.

I think the consensus is github is better than bitbucket, but if we got the JIRA+bitbucket package the two combined outshine github IMHO.

Are there any strong opinions against bitbucket? I'm also OK with github+JIRA.

Jim

Yves Savourel

Mar 17, 2015, 3:52:48 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

FWIW, we also use Bitbucket at work and are happy with it.

Jim Hargrave

Mar 17, 2015, 3:58:11 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
HipChat is another benefit:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/hipchat

Jim

Chase Tingley

Mar 17, 2015, 6:03:10 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
+1 for JIRA.  This (github + JIRA) is what we do for Ocelot.

Phil Ritchie

Mar 17, 2015, 7:32:13 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest using the Ocelot Jira but it's URL is ocelot.atlassian.net which is probably not ideal.

Jim Hargrave

Mar 17, 2015, 9:52:12 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
When looking at the form to request the free account there's one field I don't understand:

"You must be evaluating our products on a publicly accessible website. If you are not, then please come back to this application when you have done so."

Anyone know what this means? Is this only for the "server" option (vs Cloud)?

Jim

Chase Tingley

Mar 17, 2015, 10:35:05 PM3/17/15
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while -- I don't remember if Phil or I filled this out for Ocelot.  I also went through this for GlobalSight a long time ago (although I'm not sure that tracker is still running).

Anyways, I *believe* that field is only necessary if you are hosting the software yourself -- they want to make sure that you're setting up your open source tracker in a public location.  For cloud hosting, it's not necessary, since they make that guarantee themselves.

I think.