Importing Okapi to GitLab

Mihai Nita

Apr 3, 2024, 2:55:25 AMApr 3
to Group: okapi-devel
I played with this for the last two week-ends.

A result that you can inspect is here:

It is not fine-tuned in any way, just the direct result of the import.
No CI, no logo, nothing (yet).

Looks pretty complete, including the issues
(they are imported, all comments, the labels, milestones, all seems fine).

To make sure that the users are properly mapped each of you will need to update some profiles as instructed here:

It is easy to miss one of the conditions, it took me several tries.
But it seems to be working, see here:

I've created a test issue in XLIFF Toolkit, because it is smaller and  faster to import:

Do the prerequisites, and add a comment there.
When I see new comments from new people I can import and confirm that the user was mapped properly or not.
When all / most of you did that, we coordinate and I can do a final import (then make the Bitbucket projects read-only, setup the CI all the rest in GitLab, etc.

We can discuss the timing.
But preparing the users to be mapped will take a bit.

Cheers,
Mihai

Jim Hargrave

Apr 3, 2024, 11:26:52 AMApr 3
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Mihai Nita

Nice!  It looks complete to me and I like the GitLab UI better than Bitbucket.

Probably best to wait till after migration to do the UI refactor (split into two directors with independent builds etc..)

Jim

Mihai Nita

Apr 3, 2024, 1:35:50 PMApr 3
to Jim Hargrave, Group: okapi-devel
For the timing, whenever is most convenient for everybody :-)
Probably somewhere between 1.46.1 and the lib / ui reorg makes most sense.

In the meantime I would encourage everybody to check their user settings, so that the migration maps the users priority.

Cheers,
Mihai

Mihai Nita

May 23, 2024, 5:15:53 PMMay 23
to Jim Hargrave, Group: okapi-devel
REMINDER FOR THE GITLAB MIGRATION

0. Create a GitLab account if you don't have one

It does not matter what you answer to the "I'm signing-up for GitLab because" question, has no long term consequences.

1. Update your profile(s) as instructed here

This is to make sure that the Bitbucket users are properly mapped to GitLab users during the migration, and any issues and comments are still tagged as yours.

2. Add a comment to this issue:

When I see new comments from new people I can import and confirm that the user was mapped properly or not.

===

Right now there are no comments, so I don't know how many are ready for migration.

Cheers,
Mihai

Jim Hargrave

May 24, 2024, 12:07:35 PMMay 24
to Mihai Nita, Group: okapi-devel

I'm confused that the instructions are asking me to import the okapi  bitbucket projects. Won't we end up with multiple okapi projects?

Mihai Nita

May 24, 2024, 12:51:46 PMMay 24
to Jim Hargrave, Group: okapi-devel
You should not import the okapi bitbucket projects.

The only thing to do is the section called "Requirements for user-mapped contributions"

I will copy-paste it here:

========

Requirements for user-mapped contributions

For user contributions to be mapped, each user must complete the following before the project import:

1. Verify that the username in the Bitbucket account settings matches the public name in the Atlassian account settings. If they don’t match, modify the public name in the Atlassian account settings to match the username in the Bitbucket account settings.

2. Connect your Bitbucket account in GitLab profile service sign-in.

========

Big and red, for visibility by people who just "skim" emails (I am at times one of them :-)

Only do the 3 steps described in the "Requirements for user-mapped contributions" section, and stop.
Don't continue to "Import your Bitbucket repositories"

Thank you,
Mihai

Mihai Nita

May 24, 2024, 5:17:49 PMMay 24
to Jim Hargrave, Group: okapi-devel
I can confirm that both Denis and Jim imported OK:

Others might also be OK, but since there are no comments on that issue I can't tell.

Cheers,
Mihai

Yves

May 29, 2024, 2:57:45 AMMay 29
to okapi-devel
Hi,
I did the mapping as instructed and posted a comment. But I don't see it on the GitLab side.
-ys

Yves

May 30, 2024, 11:06:07 AMMay 30
to okapi-devel
Ah, I had forgotten to connect the GitLab service sign-in for BitBucket. Done now.