Question: new git model, how do we manage commits?

1 view

Jim Hargrave

Jun 18, 2024, 1:58:21 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Group: okapi-devel

As a concrete example. We currently have dev (maybe we rename this to main) with a large number of commits. We want to release 1.46.1 which cherry picks from dev only those commits that won't break backwards compatibility. Later we want to release 1.47.0 (major release). How do we easily manage all the commits so that we don't forget any or cherry pick the same commit twice?

Jim

Jim Hargrave

Jun 20, 2024, 11:36:07 AM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to Group: okapi-devel

Are there git tools that help manage this process? Or will we have to keep lists and manually check off the commits we have already merged? The latter seems error prone.

yves.s...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 10:33:49 PM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

There is some info on this here:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/cherry_pick_changes.html

It looks like there are some notes kept with the history.

-ys