‘To be white is to be racist, period,’ a high school teacher told his class

Leroy N. Soetoro

Oct 21, 2016, 6:25:22 PM10/21/16
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/10/19/to-be-white-
is-to-be-racist-period-a-high-school-teacher-told-his-
class/?tid=pm_local_pop_b

The lecture at the Norman, Okla., high school was intended to heal the
racial divides, a student said.

The discussion’s premise: White people are racist.

All of them.

Following that discussion, an Oklahoma teacher is under fire and a high
school is mired in the debate about how teachers should inject themselves
into conversations about race in the United States.

NBC affiliate KFOR reported on the controversy last week after receiving a
recording from an offended student at Norman North High School.

In the recording, the teacher shows a YouTube clip about imperialism. A
man in the video uses white-out on a globe to illustrate how European
influence spread across the world.

The discussion follows.

In the recording, the teacher asks: “Am I racist? And I say yeah. I don’t
want to be. It’s not like I choose to be racist, but do I do things
because of the way I was raised.”

“To be white is to be racist, period,” the teacher says.

The teacher has been identified by the Norman Transcript as James Coursey.

The offended student told KFOR in an interview that she felt picked on
because she is white.

“Half of my family is Hispanic, so I just felt like, you know, him calling
me racist just because I’m white … I mean, where’s your proof in that?”
said the student, who was not named by the station. “I felt like he was
encouraging people to kind of pick on people for being white.”

“You start telling someone something over and over again that’s an
opinion, and they start taking it as fact,” she said.

As word of the lecture spread, some have criticized the teacher’s tactics.

“Why is it okay to demonize one race to children that you are supposed to
be teaching a curriculum to?” the girl’s father asked in an interview with
KFOR.

Some critics called Coursey’s comments hypocritical and racist and have
called for his job, the Norman Transcript reported.

But students who support the teacher walked out of the high school in
protest Tuesday. Student organizers released a statement that the school
district shared with media outlets.

“What has been reported in the news doesn’t accurately portray what
happened in our philosophy class, nor does it reflect what we believe in
at our school,” said a student who organized the demonstration and
participated in the lecture but was not identified by the district. “The
information was taken out of context and we believe it is important to
have serious and thoughtful discussions about institutional racism in
order to change history and promote inclusivity.”

The school district has not said whether the teacher is facing
disciplinary action.

But Superintendent Joe Siano said the conversation, while important, could
have been handled better.

“Racism is an important topic that we discuss in our schools,” Siano said
in a statement emailed to The Washington Post. “While discussing a variety
of philosophical perspectives on culture, race and ethics, a teacher was
attempting to convey to students in an elective philosophy course a
perspective that had been shared at a university lecture he had attended.

“We regret that the discussion was poorly handled. When the district was
notified of this concern it was immediately addressed. We are committed to
ensuring inclusiveness in our schools.”

Scott Rogers, a former blogger for Conservative Voice, suggested the
teacher went too far and told his Twitter followers the educator should be
fired.

But Paul Ketchum, a liberal studies professor from the University of
Oklahoma, told the Normal Transcript that research supports Coursey’s
comment, even if the way he put it was problematic.

“I think it was a rookie error in teaching about race,” Ketchum told the
newspaper. “You go for the big term when a less loaded term would be
better to make it a teachable moment.

“That’s where this teacher’s going to face a lot of blowback, because most
of the students at Norman North are white and come from white families.
That’s why they might view this as an attack on them. And I get that. It’s
statistically not correct, but I understand why they would react that way.
“My deepest sympathies to the teacher, because he is going to get
hammered.”

Ketchum added that media coverage of Coursey’s comment “tells us just how
significant race still is.”

The incident illustrates the tightrope teachers walk between engaging
students in the important issues of the day and staying neutral in a room
filled with impressionable youths.

Implicit bias — the belief that we all have unconscious opinions about
race, gender and ethnicity that subtly affect our actions — has been
discussed in police stations, school rooms and on CNN. The nation has been
grappling with the issue as it debates whether officers are more likely to
use deadly force against minorities and whether teachers discipline black
students more severely.

For teachers, racial bias can be an engaging, relevant civics lesson as
much as it is a prescient social issue, educators and experts say. But
conversations about race in an educational setting are delicate.

Still, the conversations are happening in schools whether teachers are
involved or not.

Over the summer, students at a private school in Florida drew scorn when
they had an Instagram debate about which was a more respectful way to use
a racial slur for black people. Last month in Montana, two students made
national headlines when one wore a shirt that said “White Power” on the
front and another’s had the word “Redneck” and a picture of the
Confederate battle flag.

For Teaching Tolerance, a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center,
teacher Kathleen Melville wrote a blog post titled “Talking With Students
About Ferguson and Racism” about the difficulty — and the necessity — of
discussing race in U.S. high schools.

“Talking about race is not entirely new to my ninth-grade students, but
it’s definitely not a comfortable topic, at least not at school. As I get
to know my students at the beginning of the year, I notice how they tiptoe
around the issue. One student uses the term “white people” and then
immediately apologizes to me: “Sorry, Miss. No offense. I mean Caucasian.”
Another student mentions the demographics of a neighborhood, saying there
are a lot of white people, and someone else responds, ‘Oooh! Don’t say
that! That’s racist!’ …

“This work with students does not come easily. The sanctioned curriculum
avoids it and many administrators frown on it. But we need schools that
give teachers wide latitude to tailor curricula to students’ needs.”

This story, originally published on Wednesday, has been updated.

--
His Omnipotence Barack Hussein Obama, declared himself "Pooptator" of all
mentally ill homosexuals and crossdressers, while declaring where they

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $19 trillion in the seven
years he has been in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
queer liberal democrat donors.

Barack Obama, reelected by the dumbest voters in the history of the United
States of America. The only American president to deliberately import a
lethal infectious disease from Africa, Ebola.

Loretta Fuddy, killed after she "verified" Obama's phony birth
certificate.

Obama ignored the brutal killing of an American diplomat in Benghazi, then
relieved American military officers who attempted to prevent said murder
in order to cover up his own ineptitude.

Obama continues his muslim goal of disarming America while ObamaCare
increases insurance premiums 300% and leaves millions without health care.

White Rice

Oct 22, 2016, 5:20:02 AM10/22/16
[...]

EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
2016 2017

CHAIR
Mr. Steven W. Jones
Yadkin Bank
3600 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 300
Raleigh, NC 27612
Cell: 9198809565
steve...@yadkinbank.com

VICE CHAIR
Mr. Kieran Shanahan
Shanahan Law Group
128 E. Hargett Street #300
Raleigh, NC 27601
Office: 9198569494
kie...@shanahanlawgroup.com

SECRETARY
Mr. Bob Plybon
Plybon & Associates
6518 Airport Center Drive
Greensboro, NC 27409
Cell: 3362077188
rpl...@plybon.com

Mr. Edwin Clark
Trade Land Company
1006 Wall Street
Greenville, NC 27858
Cell: 2525616957
ecl...@tradelandco.com

Mr. Mark Copeland
3741 Stanford Avenue
University Park, TX 75225
Office: 2149698026
Cell: 6784885538
Mark.c...@ey.com

Mr. Vern Davenport
1300 Glennis Court
Wake Forest, NC 27587
Cell: 9198022448
Vern.Da...@gmail.com

Ms. Deborah Davis
COO VCU Medical Center / MCV Campus
1250 East Marshal Street, Suite 2300
PO Box 980510
Richmond, VA 232980510
Office: 8046287565
Cell: 8043563704
dda...@mcvhvcu.edu

Ms. Leigh J. Fanning
604 Kings Road
Greenville, NC 27858
Cell: 2522585384
leighfa...@gmail.com

Mr. Max Joyner, Jr.
105 E. Arlington Blvd
Greenville, NC 27858
Cell: 2523278750
mjo...@towneinsurance.com

Mr. Kel Normann
Normann Financial Group Wells Fargo Advisors
2411 Brookwood Trail
Sanford, NC 27330
Cell: 9197744136
kel.n...@normannfinancialgroup.com

Mr. Danny Scott
4206 Cassatt Court
Swansea, IL 62226
Cell: 6185411004
drs...@charter.net

Mr. Terry Yeargan
6325 Hilltop Road
Willow Springs, NC 27592
Cell: 9196188517
ter...@dpr.com

SGA ExOfficio:
Mr. Ryan Beeson
East Carolina University
101 Mendenhall Student Center
Greenville, NC 278584353
Office: 2523284SGA(4742)
sgapre...@ecu.edu

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/10/05/dead-air-radio-station-
yanks-football-broadcast-over-anti-american-protest.html