Oklahoma FIRST Tech Challenge News - 19 Aug 2020

Travis Smith

Aug 19, 2020, 12:40:50 PM8/19/20
to ok-ftc-n...@googlegroups.com

Oklahoma FIRST Tech Challenge News

Brought to you by the Oklahoma FTC Organizing Committee

Welcome to the new weekly newsletter!

Coaches or mentors have been added to this distribution list automatically, but anyone can join - volunteers, competitors, parents, administrators, sponsors, etc. are all welcome! They can subscribe by sending an email to:

ok-ftc-newsle...@googlegroups.com

So please forward this to your team any anyone else who may be interested!

Ultimate Goal Season Kickoff and Workshops - Sep 12, 2020!

We are bursting with excitement about the new season! This year, our season kickoff will be online (Zoom and/or Twitch). We’re planning a lot of fun giveaways and information that we hope will help you throughout the season. The tentative schedule looks like this:

  • 8am - Early Bird sessions - CAD; programming; New to FIRST

  • 9am - General session

  • 9:45am - Breakout sessions - mechanical, CAD, programming, judging, vendors

  • 11am - Challenge Release Video, field walkthrough

  • Noon - Rules Q&A

  • 1pm - brainstorming sessions

Kickoff Team Videos and Pics

We would like each team registered for kickoff to produce a short shout out video (10 seconds or less) of their team saying their team number, team name, where they are from and then very enthusiastically saying YAY or their team cheer.   When filming, make sure the camera is sitting somewhere very steady so we do not have "earthquake" videos.  You can also record a short Zoom video clip if you are meeting virtually.

We will also need a photo of your team, possibly holding a sign or banner that says your teams number, name and location.  We are asking for the photos in case we have technical difficulties with the videos.

VERY IMPORTANT INFO:

Both files (video and photo) should be saved as Team Number Team Name 2020 "##### Team Name 2020"
Videos and photos need to be submitted to the link that follows by SEPTEMBER 5!!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11fbjaXKrwZZtj5wOxRMJ4sBT91o4-TP1?usp=sharing

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

FIRST Tech Challenge is again offering need-based grants to rookie teams for the 2020-2021 season. Teams that apply and qualify will be awarded a $500 grant, with $275 allocated to cover registration and $225 applied towards product from the team’s storefront. For more information check out the FIRST Tech Challenge Grants webpage. Rookie teams -  be sure to apply today!

Monthly coach/volunteer hangout: Meet the new OK FTC leadership team - Aug 28

Coaches and volunteers - be sure to drop in to this come and go meeting to chat with the Oklahoma FTC Organizing Committee about anything you’d like to talk about!

Where: on your computer, phone, or tablet

When: Aug 28, 4-6pm

Link: https://calix.zoom.us/j/9186936828?pwd=Y2tONkdxYVJWLzVyR0twUmxIMEZSdz09

See you then!

Season Plans

  • FIRST National Registration - current -  log in to your Dashboard to pay the fee or mark your Intent to Return

  • Game Release Kickoff and Workshops - Sep 112

  • OK FTC Training Camp - Oct 10 - tentative

  • Event registration - October

  • Events - Nov - Feb/Mar

We are planning on the early competitions to be all remote and will reevaluate as the season moves forward. However, the good news is that we will have a season!

Next week, we will send out another survey to coaches to find out if you are able to meet in person and your school/organizations current plans as it might impact FTC. We’ll be having some community discussions on the best ways to facilitate building a robot remotely and to help keep teams moving forward. The international FTC organization is putting together a guidance manual to assist as well.

Free Stuff and Grants

  1. Four winners will be announced at the FIRST Tech Challenge virtual kickoff on September 12. They will receive a 2020-2021 ULTIMATE GOALSM partial game set and scoring elements. Teams will be notified of the sweepstakes through social media and email campaigns, but we would love the help of our partners to really make this loud! Find the sweepstakes information here!

  2. REV Robotics is giving away $25,000 of team sponsorships - you can enter at https://www.revrobotics.com/team-sponsorship/ by September 16!

  3. AndyMark’s Robot Relief fund is taking donations and giving away gift certificates to teams at https://www.andymark.com/pages/robot-relief -- an Oklahoma team has already won one of these (congrats to 11354 Midnight Ostrich Runners)

  4. Coaches, if you applied for a DODSTEM grant, please check your FIRST dashboard, as those have been rolling out as approved this week.

Fun stuff

Our very own Oklahoma FTC emcee Kyler Smith will be on the FIRST Updates Now Twitch.tv show tonight from 7:00pm-8:00pm CDT on the  FTC Recap!   He is talking about the open source drivetrain website basebot.co. Tune in for the latest headlines, a discussion about drivetrains and open source design in FTC and FTC Trivia is at $80!  http://twitch.tv/FirstUpdatesNow

----

Travis Smith, Program Development Partner, FIRST Tech Challenge - Oklahoma

For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

200 Bedford Street  |  Manchester, NH 03101  |  www.firstinspires.org
Phone:  405-834-9687 | TSm...@firstpartners.org