OInvite Draft-3 Now Available

David Fuelling

Mar 24, 2010, 3:03:30 PM3/24/10
to OInvite
Hey List,

Just wanted to announce that OInvite Draft-3 is now available (draft-2
didn't really offer much new, but you can find it in SVN if you're
really curious).

Draft-3 breaks OInvite into different chunks, starting with [OInvite
Core]. The core spec basically defines the basic requirements
necessary for an open invitation framework: a request/response
concept, document formats, and a protocol to follow when sending and
receiving OInvites.

I've extracted OInvite Verification out of the core spec, and created
the notion of a "Verification Extension" so that the spec is not
constrained to using any particular type of spam-prevention or
invitation verification technique.

Overall, my todo list includes the following:

1.) Continue to enhance the core spec (trust, document signing, etc)
2.) Define an HTTP transport binding as an OInvite extension. For
example, the http binding would specify how to perform service
discovery on OInvite Identifiers using XRD (and the associated
discovery stack), as well a way to define XRD info that will indicate
how/where to send OInvite requests & responses via HTTP.
3.) Continue to define a Proof-of-Work verification extension to help
mitigate the risks of spam.

Feel free to chime in on anything (spec, format, ideas, etc).

Thanks!

david

Geobytes

Mar 26, 2010, 7:21:48 AM3/26/10
to OInvite
Hi David,

Thanks for your work on this and for the update. I did try to
download a copy of the new document "oinvite-core-1_0_3.html" from the
files section of this group, but unfortunately I received the
following error - "The page you navigated to does not exist."
I am not sure if this is a Google groups problem, or a problem
specific to my account, but I thought that I better mention if. Does
it download OK for you, or someone else can confirm that it does
download OK for them then I will investigate if it is a problem with
just my account. (and could perhaps receive a copy via an alternative
means.)

Kind Regards
Adrian

David Fuelling

Mar 26, 2010, 10:01:36 AM3/26/10
to OInvite
Hey Adrian,

Thanks for posting!

I think this is a Google Groups problem--I get the same error as
you're reporting.

There's another copy of the draft on the OInvite Google Code page, and
that seems to work (although Chrome is making me save it as a file,
then view it locally -- but it still displays).

Here's a direct link to the Google Code version:
http://oinvite.googlecode.com/files/oinvite-core-1_0_3.html

Thanks!

david

Geobytes

Mar 26, 2010, 11:36:02 AM3/26/10
to OInvite
Thanks David - I got it. I will work thought it over the weekend.

Kind Regards
Adrian