Creating distance

Brandon

Dec 11, 2009, 10:19:34 AM12/11/09
to Oil Painting on Canvas
Good afternoon to all,

I have recently discovered a bit of
talent for painting. I have no formal training except for some I have
pick up from my uncle that is a successful artist (Murray Yorke). I
have dabbled over the recent years but never really sat down and took
my time to create something presentable. So having said that I did
take some time to create a painting that is presentable and now
starting another. I joined this group for tips and answers to
questions I may have and I will appreciate the time you take to answer
any. Ok so now I have a question. I seem to have an issue with
creating distance, I have started a painting with a secene that has a
few buildings in the background which I want to fad back and not
detailed. Generally do you use a lighter color to create this effect?

Thanks
Brandon from Newbrunswick

Mekdam Nima

Dec 11, 2009, 9:17:13 PM12/11/09
to Oil Painting on Canvas

Creating Depth and Distance in your Painting to make it More
Interesting
Hi Brandon;

This very interesting question;
There are few points to consider creating a distance;
Some example including;

1. Use lighter colors at the back; which is the basis of your
question; this could be easily accomplished by mixing you foreground
colors with white; of course the ration depends on how deep you want
to push your background further. You have to experiment with mixing
colors. Another way to get background objects colors is to use
transparent glazes of a complimentary or cool gray color. The second
method needs more experience.
2. Reduce the sharpness of the shapes at the background; similar to
the camera; keep your focus on the main object.
3. Background objects are of smaller size than the foreground objects.
4. Use cooler colors for the background; as warm colors appear to
advance and cool colors recede. Objects on a distance are cooler.

Lots of sample and a color wheel tool to help you understand colors
are published under;
http://www.mekdam.com/

Cheers
Mekdam