101 Populaire

Alex Bachmann

Sep 9, 2022, 9:56:31 AM9/9/22
to Ohio Randos
Good evening fellow Randos,

Some important notes pertaining to our ride this Saturday…

1.) Parking - Unfortunately this route does not offer a great central parking location. I have included a zoom in of the start location and adjacent areas here. The official start location (Speedway) is small and has little parking. I would not suggest leaving your vehicle there. The small green dot on this map is where you will find me at the start and finish of the ride. There are a few other spots to park in this lot. In blue, I’ve marked two other lots that have open parking. The lot circled in yellow is a large public parking area, but use a last resort as it will require you to enter a busy road and intersection.

2.) Controls - The speedway at the turn around will act as the halfway point control. You will find me there, as well as an undisclosed location on the bike trail just past Nelsonville on the way out. Depending on how the group disperses, you may not see me on the trail on your return if you are a faster rider. I will have water, Gatorade, and some small snacks.

3.) Post ride - There is no great location to gather for post ride chatter or celebration. I will see each rider finish, but it is not suggested we form a large gathering. I decided to bring the wife and dogs with me this time, so I’m not able to attend a post ride dinner.

4.) What to expect - Larry Graham offers a great write up of the route here…

My wife and I rode the Hocking River Ramble on Wednesday September 7th for our P107. We started in Athens to take advantage of the North wind on the return.
We have ridden this route probably 20 times or more over the years. When we start in Logan we park across from the Speedway in the complex next to Little Caesars. We park in front of the building. It seems mostly empty of business. We've never had a problem parking there.
A few miles into the route there is a very rough set of RR tracks. The other 3 sets of tracks on the route are smooth.
After crossing over Rt33 the road is a little rough going into Haydenville. Ohio’s last company town. Some restored houses, a church and a post office all in glazed block. As you are leaving you will see stacks of harvested logs on your right. As you ride by, you can see the process of making wooden pallets. Across from where you seen that the logs have been cut to size, there is a round house on your left. A year ago it was for sale, might still be.
Soon you will be riding on smooth pavement with a bike lane. Enjoy it until you cross into Athens county where the pavement with be rough. Keep and eye out for wheel eating holes on both the outbound and inbound.
After the roundabout as you are coming into Nelsonville there is a GoMart on the right. This will be the only opportunity for fluids. As you near Rocky Boots, the big Ram mural is your clue to turn right to get to the trail start. There is a water fountain next to the trail at Hocking Collage, but it was not operational. There are a few Port O Potties along the trail. So, if you think you’ll need fluids, stop at the GoMart.
The trail had leaf covering in places hiding some sharp root heaves. Pick places where you can see the pavement when you take a hand off the bars to grab a water bottle.
As you come into the OU campus, there will be more trail users, many of them with ear buds. Be carful passing.
At the turn around there is a Tim Horton’s, also a Qdoba Mexican fast food place that we’ve had a good quick experience at. There is also a Kroger right there if you just need to resupply.
Enjoy.
Larry Graham
RUSA #114

image0.jpeg