New RBA Announcement

Alex Bachmann

Jun 22, 2023, 8:19:17 AM6/22/23
to Ohio Randos
Fellow Randos,

I’m excited to announce a new RBA for the Ohio/Columbus region of RUSA, Joshua Haley!

Josh has been one of the more active Randos at our brevets and permanents here in Ohio since relocating to our region. He has brought Randos from other states to join on our rides, has been a huge media component, and a bright face of positivity despite some immense challenges our region has faced. I have full confidence in his ability and commitment to the sport, and I am very excited about what’s to come with the program. It may be ironic, but also very fitting that the tradition of Florida Randos relocating to, and volunteering for, Ohio’s program continues on.

Josh joined the sport in 2016 down in the Central Florida region and has been a prolific trinket chaser with a RUSA cup, 6 R12's and counting, a K-hound, a few Fleche's and he just rounded out his 10th SR series here in Ohio. He joined Ohio Randonneurs in 2021 when he relocated to the Canton area with his wife and two young sons. While Josh's 'Florida' shows when it's hot and flat, he's become at home in the hills and can tolerate the cold and will often be spotted on the course with gas station pizza. He's currently keeping in shape for his second PBP this coming August. While not doing crazy distances, he enjoys the 'coffeenneuring' series in fall, and towing his boys in a trailer to the local park or coffee shop.

Josh will continue the SR series that Ohio has run since its founding, as well as the popular Fleche Velocio. I'm hearing rumors of a Rouleur series and Dart next year, as well as rumblings of a 1000k in a few years, so stay tuned!

In addition to Josh’s leadership, we have “revamped,” our volunteer team to further define and collectively agree upon the state and future of the region. We will see the continued technical knowledge of Jonathan Karpick on display, the topographic expertise and flèche hosting from David Buzzee, and volunteer commitments from myself, Toshiyuki Nemoto, Hugh Walsh, Lynn Clark, and others.

Josh is currently in his “RBA training period,” in which myself and others will be guiding him as he evaluates and submits results for events, and adapts to the roles and routines, culminating in the conclusion of my servitorship for the region at our 100k populaire in September. This will allow us to continue our full SR series and flèche traditions next year.

image0.jpeg