Wooster 200K - August 20th

Jim Koegel

Jul 2, 2022, 11:18:10 AM7/2/22
to Ohio Randos
I registered for the Wooster 200K in August.
My hope is to get some other Randos to do this ride Audax style - that is as a group. The pace would be a very doable 13-15 mph, with regrouping as needed, especially at the bottom of hills. Rip it up on the uphills if you want.
It will be warm, so we will stop for hydration  as needed.
Stronger riders can take long pulls at the front of the pace line....yeah, hopefully we can do a respectable pace line.
If you want to have a blinkie/solid rear light, attach it toward the bottom of the seat stay, rather than at seat level...hard to draft someone while staring into a strobe light.
There's a diner in Warsaw around 87 miles into the ride. Perfect for a sit down meal, out of the afternoon heat. Then only 40 some miles to finish.
Alex ? maybe you could make Warsaw an 'open control' so we don't have to ride down the highway to the Stopwise convenient mart.
With a 7:30a start, we have a good 13 hours of daylight.
If you know any of the 'old guard' randos, ask them if they want to come out of retirement for a last hurrah brevet. There's a month and a half till the ride, so there's time to train.
Bon Route! to all,
Keep the rubber side down,
Jim Koegel

Alex Bachmann

Jul 2, 2022, 5:12:08 PM7/2/22
to Jim Koegel, Ohio Randos
Dave - If we avert the stopwise, do we still get 200k? I recall passing a few gas station stores before getting there.

Jim - So far it looks like you are the only one registered for Wooster. Unfortunately I had a scheduling change and won’t be able to attend this one. Is anyone else interested in this ride? We can move the date if that’s issue as well since it is a RUSA ride. It sounds like I might be up north on the last weekend of July.

That route was TOUGH back in April, and I’m not even going to mention the weather we had. If you want to ride Audax style, you might be more keen to a lower pace, full sequence style ride. It would certainly make for great company, but as you mentioned, it will be spread out on the hills. The concept of reversing the route was intended to front load the climbing, and end the ride on the flatter section.

-Alex B
Ohio RBA

On Jul 2, 2022, at 11:18 AM, Jim Koegel <koeg...@gmail.com> wrote:

I registered for the Wooster 200K in August.

David Buzzee

Jul 2, 2022, 5:47:23 PM7/2/22
to Jim Koegel, Alex Bachmann, Ohio Randos
I reversed the route yesterday. I'll finish it (control times, mostly) before I leave Monday for an out-and-back to Cincinnati. I did move the start to the OSU Ag campus parking lot across from the motel we used in the spring. Eliminating the Stopwise market will leave us at 204 km, no problem. There is a restaurant (quality = ?) at the crossroads just before the Stopwise control.

I'm interested in riding in August. I'll know better by this coming Friday. Just now, back, sciatica, mental focus, heat adaptation and general fitness look good but these are not guaranteed.

db

Jim Koegel

Jul 4, 2022, 7:06:40 PM7/4/22
to David Buzzee, Alex Bachmann, Ohio Randos
Dave…if you are using the bike trail to and thru Loveland, the trail is closed about 5 miles north of Loveland. You’ll need to take roads east of the trail out of Morrow. We used these roads on a brevet out of red roof inn in blue ash.

David Buzzee

Jul 4, 2022, 9:03:06 PM7/4/22
to Jim Koegel, Alex Bachmann, Ohio Randos
Jim, thanks for the headsup. I'm sure that it will come out ok. Is the trail closed in Loveland? I sort of planned on lunch at Paxtons.

feli...@fuse.net

Jul 16, 2022, 6:53:27 AM7/16/22
to David Buzzee, koegelje, Alex Bachmann, ohiorandos
possible to have the start time changed to 7am?
More daylight and 1/2 hour less time in the august heat.

Jul 16, 2022, 5:00:10 PM7/16/22
to feli...@fuse.net, koegelje, Alex Bachmann, ohiorandos
Changing the start time is not my call although I likely would be the one to change the RwGPS and cue sheet control times.

db

feli...@fuse.net

Jul 19, 2022, 7:12:45 AM7/19/22
to Alex Bachmann, koegelje, ohiorandos
Can the start time for the wooster 200K be changed to 7am? More daylight and ride time before the august heat sets in.

Jul 19, 2022, 7:32:20 AM7/19/22
to feli...@fuse.net, koegelje, ohiorandos
Ok, we can change the start time to 7. Give us a bit to make the changes to the GPS and website.

-Alex B
Ohio RBA

David Buzzee

Jul 19, 2022, 9:44:50 AM7/19/22