COSI Myths of Science... getting closer

Rhettfairy

Mar 23, 2010, 10:26:51 AM3/23/10
to Ohio Skeptics
(Yes, this is indeed a repost)
Greetings fellow skeptics!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Jason Smith and I work
at COSI.

On Saturday, May 15th, COSI is going to be doing one of our special
"Science Days", in which our shows and workshops focus on a single
topic. This particular one is called "Myths of Science", which was
conceived of by yours truly. All of the floor demonstrations are
going to be discussing the science behind specific myths and
misconceptions (examples: pop rocks and coke, water spinning in the
opposite direction in the southern hemisphere, equinox egg-balancing,
the tongue map, sound in space, stars from a well). There is also
going to be a critical thinking workshop, which I am almost finished
developing.

To pull off these days, we need wonderful volunteer types to help out
with the floor demonstrations (taking one of the demonstrations and
teaching it to a variety of age levels). I may also need a lovely
assistant for my workshop. I would need about 10-15 people all day
(this could be all-day shifts, half-day shifts, or a combination).
Obviously, I thought of this group as potential volunteers for this
day.

If you have already replied to this offering your help, I will be in
contact with you shortly with specifics. If you have not yet replied,
and want to have fun with kids for a few hours (the day will probably
start around 9:30 or so with some training on the activities (which
should start around 11), and end around 4, please do so. Parking will
be taken care of for all of our wonderful volunteers.

I think that does it!

Peace,
Jason

Jen Myers

Mar 23, 2010, 10:30:00 AM3/23/10
to ohio-s...@googlegroups.com
Jason, I can help you publicize this a bit, if that's cool with you. Can I post it on Skepchick? I was planning to do a post about SkeptiCamp Ohio very soon, so I can fold this in.

- Jen

Rhettfairy

Mar 25, 2010, 9:31:06 AM3/25/10
to Ohio Skeptics