Fwd: Secular Student Alliance Hiring Communications & Administrative Associate

Sharon Moss

Dec 15, 2009, 2:44:18 PM12/15/09
to ohio-s...@googlegroups.com, students-for...@googlegroups.com, hcco...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a repeat. I thought local skeptics/freethinkers/humanists/atheists/etc. might like the opportunity to turn pro! :-)

-Sharon

Sharon Moss, President
The Humanist Community of Central Ohio

"We generate our own light, to compensate for the lack of light from above."
- Ani Difranco, Angry Anymore

Begin forwarded message:

From: Secular Student Alliance <en...@secularstudents.org>
Date: December 15, 2009 2:36:20 PM EST
Subject: Secular Student Alliance Hiring Communications & Administrative Associate

SSA logo
Secular Student Alliance Hiring Communications & Administrative Assistant

Support the SSA

WE are young people who...

Talk about ideas seriously.

Live ethical & fulfilling lives without the supernatural.

Think it is more important that we can live together than that we all agree.

See democracy as an ideal worth living up to.

Believe science and reason lead to morereliable knowledge than faith
.

WE are members of the

Hello!

The Secular Student Alliance is now hiring for a full-time Communications and Administrative Assistant.  Applications will be accepted now through January 4, 2010, with an ideal start date of February 2, 2010.  Join our dedicated team of staff and volunteers and help support the exciting, rapidly growing secular student movement!

The Secular Student Alliance supports a rapidly growing network of over 190 atheist, agnostic and humanist groups on high school and college campuses.

You will be the third full-time staff member in a small team of employees and volunteers. The major thrust of your responsibilities will be in directing and implementing our public communications. However, as is the case with many small non-profits, you will also be helping with other areas. Specifically, we plan to have you help with basic office and membership administration. Your flexibility and ability to quickly learn new skills will be incredibly valuable.

This is a full-time position based out of our offices in Upper Arlington, OH. Most work will be during normal business hours, but occasional weekends will be required (you will get compensation time for weekend work). We plan to have you start on or around February 2nd.

Responsibilities:

  • Draft, proof, send, and follow-up on press releases for print, TV, radio, and internet media
  • Be the first point of contact between media and the Secular Student Alliance
  • Manage various communication channels to advance the goals of the organization (newsletter, website, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
  • Purchasing/Bid Requesting
  • Basic Quickbooks data entry
  • Membership database entry and management
  • Basic office technology management (install printers, software, etc.)

Requirements:

  • Bachelors’ degree or higher
  • Microsoft Office skills (esp. Word, Excel, and mail merge tool)
  • Comfortable with traveling 2-4 weekends a year
  • Comfortable being one of several public faces of the organization
  • Comfortable speaking in public
  • Self-motivated & independent
  • Flexible and adaptive
  • Excellent at collaboration
  • Basic HTML skills
  • Able to maintain focus and be productive in busy office environment

Pluses:

  • Knowledge of secular/atheist/humanist/freethought movement
  • Experience with Drupal or other Content Management Systems
  • Experience with CiviCRM or other Customer Relationship Management packages
  • Experience with Quickbooks or other accounting packages
  • Experience with SQL, PHP, Javascript or other programming languages
  • Journalism/Public Relations experience/education

Compensation:

  • Start at $28,000/year plus health insurance
  • Two weeks paid vacation per year (available after first six months)

To apply for the position please send a resume, and your answers to the following screening questions to h...@secularstudents.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications are due no later than January 4th, 2010.

1. Why are you interested in this job?

2. When would you be able to start?

3. What are your long-term career goals? How does this job fit into your long-term plans?

4. Can you prove that you are either a citizen of the United States, or a legal worker and permanent resident?

5. Have you been involved in some form of student activism? If so, briefly describe.

6. Are you willing to be publicly known as a supporter of SSA's cause? (The two most controversial elements of that cause being: 1. promoting respect and equal rights for atheists, agnostics, humanists and others who do not believe in a god AND 2. profound skepticism of supernatural claims.)

7. Do you have any reservations about collaborating with people who are much older or younger than you, or are of a different ethnic group, sexual orientation, or philosophical or political belief?

8. What experience(s) from your activist/volunteer work do you expect to help you most for this job? Why?

9. What experience(s) from your paid work experience do you expect to help you most for this job? Why?

10. From what you know about the SSA, what do you like best?

11. From what do you know about the SSA, what would you most like to see improve?

12. With what, if any, student freethought or humanist organizations are you currently involved? How about off-campus organizations? Do you plan to become involved in any local student/adult organizations in the near future?

13. How did you learn about this position (Craigslist, Idealist, Facebook, Twitter, SSA website/newsletter, word of mouth)?

14. Please give the names, emails, and phone numbers of two references. They should be work, activist or academic references. We do not need personal references.

15. Is there anything else you would like to make us aware of as we consider your application?

16. Please write a sample press release with a headline and other proper formatting. The release should describe your hire as the Communications & Administrative Associate at the Secular Student Alliance.

To update your preferences visit this link