Weekend plans

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2021, 11:31:17 AM10/29/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Although all forecasts are showing  too north for Cape Lookout today but Carmela, Scott M and myself are still planning to be there around noon.  Cape Kiwanda will be my back up plan if CLO is too north to fly. Zac Majors and his wife Majo might join us too.

Probably going to Cliffside tomorrow due to proximity. Maybe Saddle or Cliffside on Sunday and Monday. ....

Rick 8am Friday

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2021, 11:43:28 AM10/29/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding
Zac M just got to Portland yesterday, they don't really feel like to fly today. I can fly Yaquina head today if Mark, Michael,  Greg , Craig or anyone are going

Rick
.

Mark

Oct 29, 2021, 2:05:45 PM10/29/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Oregon Hang Gliding
Is anyone going to Yaquina Head today?
Mark F

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 29, 2021, at 8:43 AM, rick...@gmail.com wrote:

Zac M just got to Portland yesterday, they don't really feel like to fly today. I can fly Yaquina head today if Mark, Michael,  Greg , Craig or anyone are going
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OHGA" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohgalist/747376019.2161209.1635522199600%40mail.yahoo.com.

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2021, 2:12:45 PM10/29/21
to markf...@comcast.net, Oregon Hang Gliding
I just arrived CLO launch at 11:11am.  Blue sky , a lot of beach already and NW & NNW 8 to 10mph at the beach 15 mins ago. Current wind at launch is 10 to 15mph blowing straigh up.  A lot of white caps , trees are swinging and birds are soaring. ...

Rick

Mark

Oct 29, 2021, 2:16:42 PM10/29/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Oregon Hang Gliding
Nice. Have a good flight Rick. I think I committed a little late today.
Mark F

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 29, 2021, at 11:12 AM, rick...@gmail.com wrote:

I just arrived CLO launch at 11:11am.  Blue sky , a lot of beach already and NW & NNW 8 to 10mph at the beach 15 mins ago. Current wind at launch is 10 to 15mph blowing straigh up.  A lot of white caps , trees are swinging and birds are soaring. ...

<Screenshot_20211029-105029_Gallery.jpg>

<Screenshot_20211029-105029_Gallery.jpg>

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2021, 10:01:32 PM10/29/21
to markf...@comcast.net, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
I flew my T2C at CLO, and also tried flying my Freedom at Kiwanda today. I missed the NW wind conditions by launching too late at CLO (@12:30pm) when wind switched  north (a bit east at the beach ). Clean launch and got above launch quickly so l turned south half way to the bowl and felt a lot of scary air.  Turned back north and sank quickly but was still able to maintain a bit higher than launch level.  Did a few rounds and repeated the same scary conditions so I'd decided to head to the beach for landing.  Hiked up to retrieve my car and headed to Kiwanda at 3pm.  It was blowing  30-35 mph north. Since I parked my van a mile away, no vehicles were there to help block the winds so setting up was super hard. After a few failed attempts, I gave up and dragged the Freedom back to the car in 30 mph head wind; similar to hiking up to Bingen's launch few times. Enough cardio for me today.  Heading to Cliffside now.

Rick

Craig DeMott

Oct 30, 2021, 12:51:45 AM10/30/21
to ohgalist, rick...@gmail.com
Thanks for a report Rick. I was hoping we would hear how it went today for you at the Tillamook coast. I just could not imagine that the magic NW direction was going to be on it for good coastal soaring. Scary soaring at CLO/Andersons is not pretty when you make that right turn back to the north and start to go deep into the snags and salal. Then landing in NE rotor on the beach is a halloween treat. You are a true hand gliding animal with the amount of effort and optimism you put into your flying day.
Looks like the Kiwanda dune has an interesting shape on it.

PUSH OUT!

On Oct 29, 2021, at 7:01 PM, rick...@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

<Screenshot_20211029-185839_Gallery.jpg>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohgalist/794095134.1075606.1635559277399%40mail.yahoo.com.
<Screenshot_20211029-185839_Gallery.jpg>

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2021, 10:35:31 AM10/30/21
to cde...@charter.net, ohgalist, CBCC List

I came home last night because I wasn't sure if anyone going to Cliffside today beside me?   Don't feel like to fly alone.

Rick 7:35am

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2021, 2:27:31 PM10/30/21
to CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
1125am Cliffside OSR

My van already parked by the river. I'm dragging my glider to launch now at 1125am. Windspeed by the river is light 3 to 5 mph straigh east. Launch is about 8mph on the light side. Paraglider Bill getting ready to launch soon. 11:25am
On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 8:05 AM, Stephan Boutenko
Jason Poast is going.

Stephan Boutenko

John S

Oct 30, 2021, 11:54:04 PM10/30/21
to rick...@gmail.com, Oregon Hang Gliding
I went to Eagle Caves instead, above the city of The Dalles.  I found out today that you can access it on a road from the back, but you''ll still have to haul your hg on a cart. It will be mostly flat ground though.
John Saltveit

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 8:35 AM rick...@gmail.com <rick...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the replied john.  Might be blown out or might be epic .  Not my favorite Cliffside forecast for sure. Be interesting  with NE wind behind the top ridge. At least wind channels east on river and launch.  Next day more east but lighter, a lot of pgs traffic on Sunday.
On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 8:31 AM, John S
RIck,
I think it looks NE, gusty and too strong. None of those work for me. JohN Saltveit

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2021, 12:08:55 AM10/31/21
to sky...@gmail.com, Oregon Hang Gliding
I haul my hang glider to Eagle Caves launch from the gate few years ago. Long walk approx 1.5 miles but all flat.