RE: [OHGA] Quarterly?

ma...@mgforbes.com

Jan 4, 2022, 10:32:04 PM1/4/22
to OHGA
Don't complain to the list (I mean, you can, but it won't change anything), tell your directors! Bill Hughes is
the current director for region 1, and I already copied him on this.

It's a matter of setting budget priorities. Some pilots complain that we're still producing a magazine and
think it's a waste of money. Others (like you and me) think it's of great value. Should we put money
into the magazine or into a staff position to support instructor development? Fewer but larger magazines,
or more often and fewer pages? Quarterly paper with online updates in between?

Bill's the treasurer these days, so he can comment on the financial aspects. I'm off the hook after doing
the job for nearly 20 years. I'm still on the finance committee, which develops a budget the board approves.

Looking at the 2022 budget draft, I see that we're expecting about $30K in magazine advertising revenue,
and about $91K in direct operational expense to print and mail it. There's another $53K in professional
fees to produce it, which covers editorial, art and advertising sales. That's based on the quarterly magazine
schedule. So that's about $114K net outflow of membership dues to publish the paper magazine.

Lots of arguments for and against different priorities. It's not easy to balance the choices, and it's entirely
possible that they're wrong. Guaranteed, in fact....but wrong in every way imaginable, depending on who
you ask and what THEY think we should be doing. There's no winning in a budget negotiation. :-(

MGF