Moolack beach(Newport, OR) report 11/23/21

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2021, 6:31:24 PM12/23/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List

Almost had 2 hrs of enjoyable flight at Moolack beach this morning between 8:40 to 10:30 am by myself.  It was sunny, warm and also high tides came much earlier than anticipated. The wind direction was a bit north when l launch , so the usual launch spot was really unstable which made me walk a bit further to another spot north to punch off. Windspeed wasn't that strong,  approx 12 - 18 mph plus a few gusts (pgs friendly). No beach below launch but had plenty of lifts once airborne.  l cruised around between Beverly State Park to 68 St near north side of Yaquina Head landing area.  More beach there for landing. Maximum altitude only 500 to 700 ft and windspeed seemed lighter on the south side and also north side near Beverly beach area so I decided not to go too far since I'm flying alone.  I landed at 10:30am on  Beverly beach since landing area was growing smaller even on the Beverly State Park area.   l chose to land there because can break down glider on the grassy dry field and easy access to the road. Returned to launch to retrieve my van at 11:30 pm and still had plenty of lifts,  but probably land on top or head south to Yaquina Head is the only options. I was tempting to fly again but nobody show up so I decided to call off for the day. I'll post video and more pics later.

Rick

greg krutzikowsky

Dec 23, 2021, 7:20:46 PM12/23/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Way to go Rick. Fun ridge to fly. Glad to hear you got it.
Greg

John S

Dec 23, 2021, 10:26:07 PM12/23/21
to greg krutzikowsky, Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Nice job, Rick. The weather's been so terrible, I've hardly gotten out of the house.  I look forward to better weather and more flying.
John S

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CBCC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cbcclist/716064987.854763.1640305237611%40mail.yahoo.com.

Craig DeMott

Dec 23, 2021, 10:35:36 PM12/23/21
to rick...@gmail.com, ohgalist
I wondered how it was going for you today. I was checking the internet wind readings from the “Couve” where Joknee’s mom resides in an assisted living facility. She’s 104 and still telling stories about flying with Otto L. off the hill hanging from her old arm pits.

No locals to fly with eh ….. Damn coasties head over to the valley when it gets good. Greg probably used the work card for his excuse.  Good to hear you hooked another sweet flight in 2021. Looks like the Freedom was the glider of choice today. Not many days left before we hear what your tally was for the year. You have to be the most dedicated, and consistent hard core flier we have in the Northwest.

On Dec 23, 2021, at 3:23 PM, rick...@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

<Screenshot_20211223-151338_Gallery.jpg>
<Screenshot_20211223-151215_Facebook.jpg>

<Screenshot_20211223-151338_Gallery.jpg><Screenshot_20211223-151215_Facebook.jpg>

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2021, 11:28:38 PM12/23/21
to ohgalist, Craig DeMott, CBCC List

Craig DeMott

Dec 24, 2021, 1:37:04 AM12/24/21
to rick...@gmail.com, ohgalist
Interesting video Rick. The beach looks a little small in spots for this old guy. Glad you got up and timed your approach with the wave surges. A lite westerly can leave little room for error.

On Dec 23, 2021, at 8:28 PM, rick...@gmail.com wrote:

<Screenshot_20211223-202652_Facebook.jpg>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohgalist/809795347.875623.1640320100514%40mail.yahoo.com.
<Screenshot_20211223-202652_Facebook.jpg>

rick...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2021, 12:38:42 PM12/24/21
to cde...@charter.net, ohgalist, CBCC List
There was still have a lot of beach for landing 1 mile south of launch (see photo below).  I was thinking about landing here yesterday if I fly again in the afternoon.

Option 2 :  2nd photo. Look huge and empty from the air. Can we land here??

Craig,  my air time this year since have remained lower compared with the previous decade. So far 110 flights and 210 hrs.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Rick