Cliffside report. No north / ESE and SE day

rick...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2021, 8:05:23 PM10/30/21
to Oregon Hang Gliding, CBCC List
Launched at 1pm at Cliffside today and just landed at 4:30 pm. It was an epic 3+ hrs flight with mostly friendly conditions; max at 4,000 ft altitude.  Easy bench up to the top ridge and cruised miles down along the ridge.  ESE 13-20 mph at 1 pm and turned more SE wind later.  LZ winds were blowing 45 degree crossed from SE 15 to 25 mph, so I'd decided to land on the big field for safety rather than next to the towers. Soft touch down landing. Forecast was wrong about north winds, none at all today. Thermals were mostly very gentle and slow to climb to 4,000ft.  Dan( H2 pilot) launched before me, his nose was way too high , need to work on that and Tim B launched after me but somehow I missed seeing him or anyone else in the air once I headed E to the turbines. Need to break down glider in 25 mph wind now.

Btw, two pgs flew in the morning before winds pick up. One was full size and the other was speedwing.