Chehalem Thursday, Cliffside Sunday?

11 views
Skip to first unread message

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 26, 2021, 6:40:51 PM10/26/21
to Cascade Paragliding Club, Oregon Hang Gliding
Currently Chehalem looks pretty good on Thursday afternoon, will be watching that, and although it’s a ways out Cliffside on Sunday looks good too if the forecast holds at all. Keeping my eye on both!
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 26, 2021, 11:11:26 PM10/26/21
to 'Bob Horning' via OHGA, CBCC List
I can fly Newberg either tomorrow or Thursday and than Cliffside (or Saddle Ridge) this weekend , weather permitting. 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OHGA" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohgalist+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohgalist/7247ABAE9915425899825FEC10A58F8F%40BobPC.

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 27, 2021, 12:15:58 AM10/27/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Will look at things in the morning, though Thursday looks to be a drier day, much warmer temps too.
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CBCC" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cbcclist+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cbcclist/1609166419.1369619.1635304277182%40mail.yahoo.com.

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 27, 2021, 11:00:41 AM10/27/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Chehalem windspeed and direction looks good today but dew point not good,   launch most likely sock in till noon or later. Look blow out tomorrow.  



Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 27, 2021, 12:00:26 PM10/27/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Yeah, looks like it may be socked in today for most of the day, I’m across the valley at 700 ft and we’ve got fog here now, and the rest of the day may not get much better. And winds did speed up tomorrow. Will continue watching but for now it’s a waiting game I think.
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: [CBCC] Re: [OHGA] Chehalem Thursday, Cliffside Sunday?
 
Screenshot_20211027-074113_iWindsurf.jpg
Screenshot_20211027-074040_iWindsurf.jpg

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 27, 2021, 12:26:14 PM10/27/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Top Peterson shoukd be good today and tomorrow.  


On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:15 PM, Bob Horning

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 27, 2021, 1:00:29 PM10/27/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Can’t make Petersons today, though can tomorrow! Let’s look at it in the morning!
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
319-2007

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 1:44:48 AM10/28/21
to Bob Horning, rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Wind speeds are dropping a bit for tomorrow, I will be going up to Chehalem to check things out there, more than likely be at  launch around 11 AM to see if it’s worth it. Wind speed according to windfinder will remain pretty much the same after that, but the wind gust speed is dropping a lot after that. 
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 10:00 AM

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 10:05:47 AM10/28/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding

7am forecast
Accuweather / ground surface windspeed (usually stronger at launch ) :

Newberg 1pm   21 to 28mph
Peterson 1pm  23 to 33mph
Salem 1 pm  21 to 28mph

Some areas might rain at 2pm

Windfinder,  I windsurf,  Windy.com...etc also showing similar strong windspeed.  WU showing less windy. 10 to 15 mph 

Rick




On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 10:44 PM, Bob Horning

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 11:25:38 AM10/28/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
I don’t understand Rick, what are you saying? Wind’s too strong? LOL
OK, nature wins, will look for another day and skip today!
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 7:05 AM
20211028_062311.jpg

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 11:31:54 AM10/28/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Meaning you won't know unless you go. Forecast could be wrong sometime.  

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 11:39:57 AM10/28/21
to rick...@gmail.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Trouble is even Accuweather has changed this morning and read these highs winds now. Accuweather is very conservative, you usually have to add a few MPH on them, so if they are saying 18 MPH in Newberg it more than likely will be closer to 20+. Last night things were much more rosier.
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 8:31 AM
20211028_062311.jpg

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 11:55:33 AM10/28/21
to b...@horningshideout.com, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
The current windspeed at Salem is 8 to 10 mph and light breeze in Happy Valley which is much lighter than last Thursday when l flew Chehalem.  I predicted windspeed will get stronger later when rain cells get closer that cause gust front  spreads out in all directions. Forecast like this I usually prefer to fly Peterson to avoid Chehalem rowdy air near launch. Still have hope if we launch early.  

Rick

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 8:39 AM, Bob Horning

dave blizzard

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 12:23:27 PM10/28/21
to Bob Horning, Rick Lai, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Looks to me like the dew point may be an issue with launching early.  From my office, I can see that cloud base is currently well below ridge height.

Bob Horning

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 12:31:16 PM10/28/21
to dave blizzard, Rick Lai, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Agree with Dave, there are a couple traffic cams on 219 right past the top on the Hillsboro side, 990 ft elevation, all fogged in right now. While last night the forecast looked a bit better, I don’t see this working today now, sorry, so I’m skipping.
 
Thanks,
Bob Horning
503-319-2007
20211028_062311.jpg

rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 12:31:57 PM10/28/21
to davemb...@gmail.com, Bob Horning, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Thanks Dave. Yes, Chehalem launch always shocked in until mid afternoon especially during autumn.  


rick...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 3:51:39 PM10/28/21
to Bob Horning, dave blizzard, CBCC List, Oregon Hang Gliding
Ray said launch is clear but Mcminnville and Salem ground surface winds is 18 to 20mph now at 12:45pm . Clouds at 2 to 3k moving very fast so l bet Chehalem is nuking on launch now. 

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 9:31 AM, Bob Horning

Dave Blizzard

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 4:19:51 PM10/28/21
to OHGA
I bet Rick is correct.  The ridge is mostly clear (except for an ugly cell at the towers right now) but it is gusty here and just too strong for us baggers.  I'm moving on with my day.

ray berger

unread,
Oct 28, 2021, 6:37:42 PM10/28/21
to Dave Blizzard, Oregon Hang Gliding
We need to invent speed gliders. Anybody have a 12 meter double surface glider they aren't using? Sounds fun but may come in too fast for landing if windspeed on ground diminishes dramatically. Ouch!! Ray

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages