Stories ideas: existing resource list + job insecurity story?

TK

Dec 4, 2011, 2:30:30 AM12/4/11
to OH Newspaper Discussion, mass...@windstream.net
Hello,
I attended the 2nd Strategy Mtg. There was a black guy in dreads
(Derrick?) who was telling a story about a co-worker being injured and
he himself losing his job. It seems his story would be worthy of an
article in the newspaper.

I was in the doorway with people around me talking so I could not hear
exactly what he was saying. Do ya'll know who I am talking about? I
could help him write it or approach him about writing it himself if I
knew where to find him.

There were other speakers that brought up insecurity in the
workplace . (I have a photo of the sign: Job Insecurity Keeps Us
Silent from the silent Energy Day march.)

Also I would like to submit a column devoted to already existing
resources addressing some of the grievances/needs specific to Houston,
(along the lines of what Nick Cooper was saying in regards to not
reinventing the wheel), along with a short paragraph of how these
groups/organizations got started and how they've grown and continued
to sustain themselves.

In addition maybe a partial list of what Houston groups/organizations
have endorsed Occupy Houston with a link to a longer (and growing)
list online?

Look forward to working with you guys. And the 1st copy of Occupy
Houston is fantastic. Very professional and I am sure a real eye-
opener to those relying on for-profit-infortainment for "news".

Theresa

Massoud

Dec 4, 2011, 6:08:20 AM12/4/11
to oh-newspape...@googlegroups.com, kka...@earthlink.net
Theresa,

It was nice meeting you and thanks for your e-mail. We defiantly need your
help. I think an article about the "insecurity in the
Workplace" would be great. I'm going to find out if we can arrange those
people who spoke in this regard to be at the park on a certain day and time
so you can interview them for the additional information for your article.
The text should be 400 word or less and we reserve the right to edit with a
minimum modification. We will send you the edited version before we go for
print. Please send us your profile face photo (if you wish) with your full
name for the paper along the photo of the clever sign that you've already
mentioned.

The deadline is DEC.7th!

On another note, I read the brochure about your organization and it seems to
me we should have a column to introduce progressive organizations in Houston
to the OH newspaper readers and Occupiers. Would you like to send us a short
presentation with the logo and a picture (in color) about "Transition
Houston" as part of "Transition Network"? I will ask Kathleen our editor to
check your web site www.tranistionhouston.org for information since she
doesn't have your green brochure.

Again I thank you for your help. I think Kathleen would agree with me that
your contribution will be very beneficial to the paper and we hope you can
be part of the Occupy Houston newspaper team. Please let us know if you are
interested and have the time.

Massoud

Theresa

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Alice Melendez

Dec 4, 2011, 10:29:44 AM12/4/11
to oh-newspape...@googlegroups.com, kka...@earthlink.net
Yes, the person you are refering to is Delbert. I was thinking the
same thing! I asked Wendy Harraway who was there at the meeting and
used to work at AIG if I could interview her about the workplace.
Also there were young internatonal organizers from UAW talking about
right to organize. I think we should do a special "Focus on the
Workplace" section maybe with these three interviews. (Delbert,
Wendy, and the young guys from UAW). This would really resonate I
think! And hit all sectors of the workers.

I am thinking about pushing my food system article back an issue and
focusing on teh workplace stuff since that seems to be coming up
strong right now.

Theresa Keefe

Dec 4, 2011, 11:07:31 AM12/4/11
to oh-newspape...@googlegroups.com, kka...@earthlink.net
Oh a Dec. 7 deadline. I didn't snap to that. Yes Alice would you be able to interview Delbert? I could do a filler Transition Houston article/blurb and maybe a short list of other resources such as the Last Organic Outpost, TXRX Labs, etc. I'll work on that tonight and Monday. I also know Kathy Kain from our Kucinich Days!

I also wanted to do something about the Energy Day protest. I posted a couple of articles on it at Houston.indymedia. They are way too long so I will edit them down.

It would be quicker for me to do an article on what I am familiar with: Energy Day, Transition Houston, and maybe let those who have quick access to Delbert, etc. do the article on the workplace.

I can start sending info over Monday evening.

Take care ya'll, and look forward to working with you.
Theresa

Theresa Keefe

Dec 4, 2011, 11:18:24 AM12/4/11
to oh-newspape...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to add link to photo of sign saying: Employment Insecurity keeps us silent.
I am not at my computer but you can pull the image off this Indymedia article: