LGPL exception in qml ogdf plugin

Piyoosh Mukhija

Oct 10, 2019, 12:09:40 PM10/10/19
to ogdf
Hi,

I'm interested in using the QML OGDF plugin created by Christoph. However, for performance reasons, it'd be good to provide node and edge data to his wrapper classes from C++ instead of directly from QML/Javascript.

Now, the LGPL exception you've added for this plugin allows me to link to his library, but it adds a constraint that the QML plugin directory should be in my link paths. Generally QML plugins are in a special path and loaded dynamically (need not be in compile-time link paths). To allow linking from C++ easily, I'm thinking to split his library into a plugin component (runtime-loadable library at the special path with only a plugin class that registers the types in QML environment) and a compile-time linkable component (a library in the standard binary output folder containing all the types allowing me to populate data structures like nodes and edges from my c++ application). Would your exception still be valid for this update? If not, can you add an exception for such a fork? If agreeable, I can then create a new project for the same under LGPL.

Thanks,
Piyoosh

PS: I asked the same question in the post at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ogdf/DaI-fXW64YI/rl7cs9HRDAAJ, but I guess Carsten may not be an active developer any more (his name doesn't show up on the ogdf website). So, I'm posting it here again.