Question about the website's background image

Baran Jean-Marie

Jan 20, 2020, 10:02:46 AM1/20/20
to ogdf
Hi,

So −this is awkward− but I have a question not about OGDF itself, but regarding the background image used for the website at https://ogdf.uos.de (image of a forest).

I find it wonderful and would like to know:
  • whether it is licensed
  • where does it come from / who made it
  • are there larger definitions of it available somewhere
I ask because I'd like to use it for personal use (decorative purpose) if possible.

Thanks,
Jean-Marie.

Malte Michel

Jan 20, 2020, 12:41:10 PM1/20/20
to ogdf
Hi,

it is actually a painting by Isaac Whitehead (https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/in-the-sassafras-valley-victoria-isaac-whitehead/gQHpZ_R4-bwLRg?hl=en). I guess for personal use just printing it yourself if you find a high resolution version (like the one on wikipedia https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Isaac_Whitehead_-_In_the_Sassafras_Valley%2C_Victoria_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg) would be no problem. Probably you'll also find art prints of it online as well...

Cheers

Baran Jean-Marie

Jan 20, 2020, 1:05:51 PM1/20/20
to ogdf
Thanks for the information! I suspected it could be a famous painting but I failed to find it with Google image search. It's a nice choice for the website.

Cheers,
Jean-Marie.