Friday challenge - Ukraine Windows

hcb...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 8:50:16 AM10/31/22
to Office Hours @cammakespace
Dear All,

Here is some info for the challenge I'm currently facing with the thermal insulation. The situation and problem and how we can help are taken from out Makeathon instructions page here

Overall my questions are. (Keep reading for more context)
  • How narrow or broad should I keep my focus when asking for solutions?
  • How can we increase the number of beta testers we recruit?
    • How can we manage the expectations of these testers?
  • Is our plan to manage beta testers correct?
    • Will having one Facebook group suffice?
    • How much control should I attempt to exercise over who is testing what?
    • How should I facilitate communication between makers and users? Should I have a structured form or not?
  • Should I use the same group to host both solutions in testing and solutions that have been tested?

Situation

Since the start of the war, an estimated 1-10 million windows have been blown out in Ukraine. Soaring energy prices and sub-zero winter temperatures make this an urgent problem as windows are a key component of good building insulation. Most people have come up with emergency solutions to block air from passing through with materials such as plywood or plastic wrap. However, many of those solutions will not last through the whole winter as they are not insulating enough.

Solution

Our intention is to develop a number of solutions using the process of distributed innovation (lots of people working on problems in tandem across different locations). We don't intend to advertise solutions until they have passed both local tests and then on-the-ground tests.

Question 1:  Should the Makeathon be focused just on windows or on other thermal envelope needs? How broadly or narrowly should I focus the question?

Question 2:
I have begun to make progress in recruiting beta testers on the ground in Ukraine. We are currently recruiting people through mutual contacts and Facebook groups. I have been messaging people on the ground and trying to convert them to beta testers as we go. There have been a couple of complications with this.
  • The solutions we provide might not work. It is difficult to get people to know they will be collaborators at first maybe trying solutions that don't work. How do we communicate this and manage expectations?
  • What are the best means of managing such a community? The current approach which might work (we are not sure yet) is to. Get people to join a Facebook group. On this, we'll post solutions (all solutions are stored on a notion page.) Communication between builders and users can happen over Facebook, comments on posts etc. I had considered using a google form outlined here to help organise feedback but maybe Facebook is enough and I don't place any structure over it at all (🧟‍♂️). This could get messy but I think it should work.
  • I'm beginning to get traction after a fortnight. I've had 3 potential testers from direct contacts. I've had 4 testers who have signup using a google form. I'm trying to push them all towards the Facebook group outlined. Are there other ways that we could increase this number? I think getting lots of testers involved is important, as 1 they can improve solutions themselves, and 2 if we get more Makerspaces working on this we will need lots of testers.
  • Should I limit the number of testers per solution, or should I leave it as a free-for-all? I would like that Facebook page to act as a place for both beta testers and working solutions.
  • Other potential channels to build a community have been recommended to me. These include Ukrainian influencers and contact local news and radio stations.