Fwd: RF and Optical Integration - Wednesday 20 October - Online

Ward Hills

Oct 7, 2021, 5:33:41 AM10/7/21
to office-hours...@googlegroups.com

Peter,

    You might find this interesting.

    Best,

    Ward

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: RF and Optical Integration - Wednesday 20 October - Online
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 20:15:01 +1100
From: CW Team <newsl...@cambridgewireless.co.uk>
To: wa...@albioninnovations.com <wa...@albioninnovations.com>

Free places remaining for this online event on RF and Optical Integration

No Images? Click here

Good morning,

The CW Wireless Heritage is back and you are invited to join their returning session which will track the fifty-year history of technology evolution in terrestrial and non-terrestrial networks, exploring how RF and optical technologies are together creating new service offers and profit opportunities.

RF and Optical Integration

Wednesday 20th October, 2PM

Speakers include:

  • Richard Jacklin, Global Sales Director, ViaLite, on 'RF over Fibre; Technology, Application and Opportunities'
  • Andy Sutton, Principal Network Architect, British Telecommunications will explore 'The Integration of Radio and Fibre Transport in Terrestrial 5G Networks'
  • Richard Johanson, CEO, Archangel Lightworks who will discuss the evolution of free space optics

Free to CW members / £25.00 (+ VAT) for non-members. There are nine free places remaining for non-members*

TO CLAIM A FREE PLACE PLEASE REGISTER HERE
and quote ‘RFOP21’ when prompted.

*To have more diverse discussions and enable more people to experience CW activities, we typically offer a limited number of free seats per event.

BACKGROUND TO THE EVENT

The auction of 100 MHz of C band spectrum in the 3.5 GHz band for $80 billion dollars in the US earlier this year has helped to drive global investment in a new wave of high capacity terrestrial cellular networks. In the 5G community we think of these as radio systems but in practice these networks are dependent on the efficient integration of RF and optical transport at optical C band (191 THz to 195 THz).

In parallel for $8 billion dollars a satellite operator can have a LEO constellation with several thousand satellites covering all latitudes and longitudes with multiple payloads including GNSS, multi spectral sub metre imaging and global Wi-Fi. Increasingly these networks are deploying inter satellite and inter constellation optical switching and optical uplinks and downlinks to provide cost effective power efficient bandwidth and added value to terrestrial networks.

These are not new technologies. The industry has been deploying terrestrial fibre now for fifty years and RF over fibre for thirty years and today’s high count LEO constellations are a second iteration of Ku and Ka band networks planned thirty years ago ( Skybridge and Teledesic).

Over the past fifty years, losses per kilometre in terrestrial fibre have reduced from 20 dB per kilometre to 0.2 dB per kilometre. In space, 60,000 kilometre inter GSO links are being deployed at low power and low cost transforming the delivery economics of long distance broadband backhaul. Ever higher levels of coherent modulation make these links ever more efficient.

At this webinar, we track the fifty year history of technology evolution in terrestrial and non-terrestrial networks and study how RF and optical technologies are together creating new service offers and profit opportunities.

The session will conclude with a panel discussion on how these evolving technologies can be more closely coupled across terrestrial and non-terrestrial networks. The current agenda and full event information can be see here.

We hope you will join us online for this topical session.

Kind regards
The CW Team

We want to keep you up-to-date with everything happening at CW but if you no longer want to receive our emails please update your preferences using the link below.