upcoming historic Los Angeles happenings

tours

Jan 2, 2017, 1:41:37 PM1/2/17
to offbunkerhill
dear friends,

This list is not very active, but please remember that we're always happy to hear your memories of or questions about old Los Angeles.

If you'd like to be on the receiving end of more frequent email updates, you can sign up for the Esotouric weekly newsletter, packed with historic preservation and local history links and musings (http://eepurl.com/baVxhP) -- most recently, our annual survey of preservation gains, losses and bittersweet maybes: http://esotouric.com/27for2016 -- or tune in to the You Can't Eat The Sunshine podcast, featuring in-depth Southern California explorations--new episodes coming soon (http://www.esotouric.com/canteatsunshine). If on Facebook, join the Los Angeles History Happenings group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/185665338247332). And you can virtually follow Esotouric's photographic adventures in the southland at http://instagram.com/esotouric

Below are some upcoming events that you might like to attend.

yrs
Kim Cooper
http://www.thekeptgirl.com
_____
LAVA happenings (free events starred)

* Downey’s Googie Phoenix: Harvey’s Broiler 10th Anniversary Restoration Celebration - Sunday, January 8

The Hollywood Fire Devil forensic science seminar - Sunday, January 22

* LAVA Sunday Salon & Broadway on My Mind walking tour on lost Romanesque L.A. - Sunday, January 29

Esotouric bus adventures

Tim Baker

Jan 2, 2017, 4:33:46 PM1/2/17
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Kim Cooper

Keep up the good work.

Tim

To learn more about Lost L.A, visit the 1947project time travel blogs
On Bunker Hill http://www.onbunkerhill.org
1947project http://www.1947project.com
In SRO Land http://www.insroland.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "offbunkerhill" group.

flo...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2017, 7:27:49 PM1/2/17
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Not sure anyone saw the LA Times column on 12-25-16 about Christmas in downtown LA in 1954 by Chrisandra Baker.  It pretty much mirrored my own experiences as a fifties child
growing up near Georgia St. and delivering the "Mirror" to the area around what is now the Staples Center.  Spent my Saturdays going from department store to department store checking
out the toy displays and like her brother getting dirty playing on the Harbor freeway construction.

Frank

Tim Baker

Jan 3, 2017, 4:03:02 AM1/3/17
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Guys:

Just in case anyone would be interested...

I've developed a way to make traditional silver-gelatin photo prints from digital images, at home, for pennies per print. I'd be glad to to show anyone interested how to do it themselves.

The benefits:

Until recently, and for the previous 100-plus years, any photograph you saw was a silver-gelatin print on fiber paper. Apart from their incomparable look and feel, silver prints are essentially immortal, countless home albums presently filled with priceless images from early last century.

By comparison, today's ink-jet and color-emulsion replacements not only look and feel cheap, they begin fading relatively abruptly.

Silver is the gold standard where photography is concerned, but essentially no one shoots film anymore, and there has been no inexpensive and convenient way to make traditional silver prints from digital images.

The process in question can be set up for as little as $20, turn out prints for little as 20-cents, and begin operating a couple of days after becoming interested.

Feel free to pass this this on to anyone you think might be interested.

Tim Baker
213 570 0241
tim...@aol.com

robert barkaloff

Jan 3, 2017, 2:30:24 PM1/3/17
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
I am a traditional silver gelatin printer and I’m very curious to understand how you are making your prints.

Thanks,
robert