The block at SO. OLIVE ST.

Abdullah Alsanea

May 18, 2016, 9:05:56 PM5/18/16
to offbunkerhill
Hello Everyone,

I am an architecture student. This summer, in one of my classes I have been asked to document the old Bunker Hill.
I would be grateful for any help you might be able to provide regarding access to any info including photographs of the specific
houses or anything about this block at SO. OLIVE ST. I marked on red.

Basically, my focus is on this case study is only about the block at SO. OLIVE ST.
I founded some larger images of the houses but the rest is harder and looked at a couple
books but they don't have a number below the houses.

Sincerely,
Abdullah

SO. OLIVE ST. ONLY.jpg

Tim...@aol.com

May 18, 2016, 9:16:46 PM5/18/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com

Abdullah:

40 pages of Olive Street photos in the LA Library photo archives. Here's a link, set at page 22.

Tim

To learn more about Lost L.A, visit the 1947project time travel blogs
On Bunker Hill http://www.onbunkerhill.org
1947project http://www.1947project.com
In SRO Land http://www.insroland.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "offbunkerhill" group.

Abdullah Alsanea

May 18, 2016, 9:23:21 PM5/18/16
to offbunkerhill
Thank you Tim but it said Session expired?

I even try to copy and paste to the link bar but still the same.

Tim...@aol.com

May 18, 2016, 9:26:33 PM5/18/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Abdullah:

Here's a link to the library itself. Click on 'photo collection' near top right, then search for Olive Street.

Yell if that doesn't work.

Tim

In a message dated 5/18/2016 6:23:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, abdullah...@woodburyuniversity.edu writes:
Thank you Tim but it said Session expired?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sGQ2XoODKcc/Vz0VR9kkXyI/AAAAAAAAAXY/vjcy51LAVU0LbfDeHGTg7avxQFKZBhITgCLcB/s1600/Session+expired.jpg

Nathan Marsak

May 18, 2016, 10:53:47 PM5/18/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Abullah—

Well I am certainly glad when anyone is studying Bunker Hill; I'm know Woodbury has a first-rate program and I'm told a great architecture library.

So, a couple questions and comments.  When you say you're studying one block of S Olive, the area you have marked in red is actually two blocks.  Did you mark too much in red, or did you mean to say you were studying the two blocks?  Because what you have marked in red are the 200 and 300 blocks of S Olive.

Fortunately, you have chosen an area of Bunker Hill that is very well documented.  But, do you intend to research the area just as it pertains to the map you circled (which is ca. 1955)?  Or to the area as it developed over time?  Because, for example, the Crocker Mansion was a famous landmark at Third & Olive, and it only stood until 1908, being replaced by the Elks' Lodge.  Or, for example, this house at 327 S Olive—

Inline image 1

—next door to the Ems (321 S Olive), it was torn down in 1948.  So although the Ems

But if you're just looking at the map as you defined it with the red square, the addresses from top to bottom are, west side, 201, Mission Apartments; 209, May Hotel; 221 S Olive (Baer Mansion); 227 S Olive, residence; 243, Cumberland Hotel; 251, La Loma Hotel and Apts; 259, Angel's Flight Café; 317, Casa Alta Apts; 321, Ems Hotel & Apts; 337, The Olive Inn; 363 S Olive, the Olive Mutual Garage.
On the east side, top to bottom, 428 W 4th, the Mansfield Apts; 208, house/apts; 218-220, apts; 224, apts; 226, residence, 228-232 apts; 238-240 apts; 244, the Blackstone Apartments; 248, the Astoria Hotel and Apts; 258, Hillcrest (or Hill Crest) Hotel; 300, Moose Lodge; 314, La Casa De Don Leon apts; 324, residence; 326-28, residence; 330-32 apts; 334, residence; 336 (note: actual address is 344 S Olive), the Wales Apartments; 425 West 4th, the Center Garage.

I would suggest you look not only at lapl.org, but, now that you have not only addresses but names like Astoria and Ems, etc., you use those to search with also, along with "Fourth"+"Olive"...don't forget to search numerically, i.e, "2nd" "3rd" and "4th" along with "Olive."  Make sure you check out lapl.org but also California State Library http://www.library.ca.gov/ and this collection at the Huntington http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Palmer%20Conner%20Collection%20of%20Color%20Slides%20of%20Los%20Angeles,%201950%20-%201970/mode/exact and the photos as USC http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/ ...also there's a thread on Skyscraperpage called "Noirish Los Angeles," doing a search there will be helpful, for example just recently there was a lot of work on the Angels Flight Cafe http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7141316&postcount=30601 also there are some nice shots at the Getty by Nadel http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/digital_collections/notable/nadel.html (look through the collection that's called "Community Redevelopment Agency/Bunker Hill Renewal Project").

I hope that helps and keep us abreast of how the project is going,

Nathan

Nathan Marsak

May 18, 2016, 11:04:57 PM5/18/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Also, this is the best shot I know of, of 322-334 S Olive https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca0214.photos

Michael Fels

May 19, 2016, 12:18:46 AM5/19/16
to offbunkerhill
You might want to check http://cpfelsartlegacy.com/gallery-of-art/california-urban/ . She did about 30 woodcut prints of Bunker Hill Houses while they were still there. Don't know if she did any of the exact houses you want, but won't hurt to check. They were originally exhibited and then housed at City Hall. Good luck!
Michael

Jim Dawson

Aug 27, 2016, 4:18:49 PM8/27/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Nathan, have you seen this?  Jim D.

Tim...@aol.com

Aug 27, 2016, 10:39:25 PM8/27/16
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Offbunkerhill:

Thanks, and please tell everyone involved thanks.

Tim