A Drive Through Bunker Hill and Downtown Circa 1940

Richard Schave

Sep 6, 2011, 4:01:06 PM9/6/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends:

Just some stock footage of Bunker Hill from the 1940s:

http://www.archive.org/details/ADriveThroughBunkerHillAndDowntownLosAngelesCa.1940s

Thought it might be of interest.

Regards,

Richard

theodore barrow

Sep 6, 2011, 4:20:30 PM9/6/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

Thanks so much, this is great!

Ted
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Dear Friends:

http://www.archive.org/details/ADriveThroughBunkerHillAndDowntownLosAngelesCa.1940s

Regards,

Richard

flo...@aol.com

Sep 6, 2011, 5:57:26 PM9/6/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, loved the shot of Central Library and the Atlantic Richfield building.

Frank

Sep 6, 2011, 9:40:23 PM9/6/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Ditto,

Bob

To: offbun...@googlegroups.com
From: flo...@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:57:26 -0400

Gordon Pattison

Sep 7, 2011, 3:04:29 AM9/7/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Dear Richard:

This is a real treasure. As most will know, I am sure, the footage starts
on Second Street above the tunnel looking East out of the back of the car.
The car then goes up the hill and turns on Grand (nice view of the Melrose
and Richelieu) going South past 3rd and 4th Streets, then down the hill to
5th Street. The next sequence traces the same route but the camera looks to
the right giving good views of all the buildings on that side of the street
including wonderful views of among other things the Angels Flight Pharmacy,
Capital Apts., Biltmore Apts., the Biltmore Theater and Hotel as well as the
Library as it was before the renovation and addition. Later the car starts
on Flower near 5th going north and finally turns on 1st Street. Too bad the
makers of LA Noire didn't have references like this to work from.

Sep 7, 2011, 5:58:08 AM9/7/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
What a fantastic little film! I'm going to go out on a limb a little
bit here, but I think I can date it pretty precisely to Summer, 1948.
Just north of Fifth and Flower is a billboard for RCA Victor
televisions that depicts a cartoon donkey and elephant wearing boxing
gloves, with a caption saying "Pick a sure winner!" This suggests to
me that this is a post-war national election year, with the national
party conventions soon to be broadcast. Then, just as the car turns
east on First, another billboard advertises a show at the Hollywood
Bowl running from July 25-Sept 5; another clue that this is
summertime. Can anyone find any more clues? I wish I knew old cars
better. Someone could probably date this film just by looking at the
cars...

-Scott

Nathan Marsak

Sep 7, 2011, 4:58:32 PM9/7/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Holy cats!  Amaaaazing.  And agreed, this is what LA Noire should have/could have been.  If only they'd consulted us rabid "experts"!  I think the '48 date is right on, or at least the earliest, since the telephone building on Grand just above the Biltmore garage is there, which went in in '48, though when exactly I'd have to poke around to find out...though the conventioneering and Hollywood Bowl signage are a dead giveaway!

I registered on Internet Archive so I could give a blow-by-blow account of what we're driving by...like to think I'll do that somewhere today.

Again, pretty breathtaking.

Kim Cooper

Sep 7, 2011, 5:04:17 PM9/7/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Ah, Nathan speaks!

BTW, if anyone wants to make a public comment about what they're seeing in this clip, please note that I've embedded the clip at the On Bunker Hill blog and you are most welcome to comment there (maybe as a cross-post with the original host, Internet Archive). Send us an email through the contact link if you do not yet have a commenting account:

Link to the embedded video at On Bunker Hill

Kim

Gordon Pattison

Sep 8, 2011, 12:17:13 AM9/8/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends of Old Bunker Hill:

I was living on South Bunker Hill Ave. in the late 1940's when this footage
was shot. Since Richard posted it, I have viewed these sequences several
times and will continue to do so. In trying to date the film, I have focused
on the automobiles. Most of them are of pre-
War vintage. However, I have identified five of the automobiles seen and
dated them to 1947-49. As the camera car goes south between 2nd and 3rd
Streets, it passes the Frontenac Apts. Just as it does, a Studebaker
Champion Starlight Coupe passes going north on the right. As the camera car
passes 3rd Street, there is another Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe
parked near the southeast corner of 3rd and Grand next to the Angels Flight
Pharmacy. Another one is seen in the final sequence on Flower, again
passing on the right going south. Studebaker introduced this distinctive
body style in 1947 and continued it pretty much unchanged with the 1948 and
1949 models. Notice that the tail lights are horizontal. The 1950 model
was very similar, but its tail lights were vertical. Also at the beginning
of the Flower sequence there is a 1948 Buick Roadmaster convertible
following the camera car going north. Finally, also in the Flower sequence,
there is a 1947 Pontiac Torpedo Streamliner, glorious in its two-toned paint
job, going south on the right side of the road. Again, the tail lights
distinguish it as a 1947, not 1948 model. We had one of these when we lived
on Bunker Hill at this time. Maybe it is us driving by. There do not
appear to be any 1950 or later models. That's all for now, more video
sleuthing to do.

Gordon Pattison

Sep 8, 2011, 12:21:44 AM9/8/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com

Even though my computer refuses to get beyond the first 9 seconds of the video (which is like waving a hot dog just out of reach of a starving person), I am really enjoying all the postings from folks lucky enough to have memories of old Bunker Hill.
Leslie Caldera

--- On Wed, 9/7/11, Gordon Pattison <gpat...@pattisoninstitute.com> wrote:

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/offbunkerhill?hl=en.

J Scott Shannon

Sep 8, 2011, 12:35:41 AM9/8/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leslie,

The embedded video does stall, as you say. I recommend you go to the actual Archive.org webpage and download the hi-res MPEG4 file, then play that with your computer's own media player.

The MPEG4 file is a whopping 218 MB, but it's well worth it. You'll see!

Best,
-Scott

J Scott Shannon

Sep 8, 2011, 6:44:32 AM9/8/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Deep down, in my heart of hearts, I truly want to believe that that
was your
family's car. Seriously, how many two-toned 1947 Pontiac Torpedo
Streamliners were owned by a family who lived on Bunker Hill at that
precise time? Do you maybe remember the car's license plate number?
A glimpse of it can be seen in the first few frames of that scene...

-Scott

On 7 Sep 2011, at 21:17, Gordon Pattison wrote:

> Finally, also in the Flower sequence, there is a 1947 Pontiac Torpedo
> Streamliner, glorious in its two-toned paint job, going south on the
> right

> side of the road. We had one of these when we lived on Bunker Hill at

Lisa Asterino

Sep 8, 2011, 3:02:18 PM9/8/11
to offbun...@googlegroups.com
Hello
Thank You so much for sharing this Richard & Kim.
This is an amazing find.  I did see a few cars from 49 in here did you date this as 49?

Lisa

Lisa's Email

Sep 8, 2011, 4:12:37 PM9/8/11
to Lisa Asterino, offbun...@googlegroups.com
I took another look at the 2 Studebakers I thought were 49's they are indeed 48's one at 1:08 driving  the other parked 1:18

Sent from my iPhone

john.b...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2011, 10:35:34 AM9/9/11
to offbunkerhill

LAUREL & HARDY FILMED HERE TOO
This footage not only provides a wonderful glimpse of post-WWII Bunker
Hill, but illuminates Los Angeles during the silent film era as well.

As I explain in my book Silent Visions, Harold Lloyd filmed scenes for
seven different movies at the intersection of 3rd and Grand, on Bunker
Hill, more scenes than at any other location in Los Angeles. It was a
popular place for Laurel and Hardy, and other Hal Roach Studio stars
to film as well. The Prelinger film drives twice by Lloyd’s
intersection of 3rd and Grand, providing razor sharp images of where
Lloyd and other silent stars filmed.

You can see these silent locations on the Bunker Hill footage on my
blog below.
http://silentlocations.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/stan-ollie-and-harold-a-drive-through-bunker-hill/

Richard Schave

Sep 9, 2011, 12:03:53 PM9/9/11