Land, Rent, and Property

Teddie Goldenberg

Apr 29, 2009, 9:10:00 PM4/29/09
to OFCS
This is a burning question for me, and I'm not sure I can answer it.

Because an OFCS system allows only a direct relationship to an object
(such as a house, or the furniture in it), there's absolutely no way
for someone to rent or lease things out - either you own it or you
don't. Basically, you can't be a landlord with OFCS. That's the bottom
line.

I'm not concerned about this, because landlords are something that
should be obsoleted anyway. What I'm more concerned with is the
transition from contemporary currency systems to OFCS systems. Let me
list some scenarios to brainstorm with:

* There's a plot of empty, wild land. Someone wants to take ownership
of it. Can land be owned? What are they allowed to do on it? What if
they pollute it?

* A house in the suburbs. The house is built within an OFCS system,
and ownership is transferred (let's just say "sold") to a family that
uses the same credit system. What about the land the house is sitting
on?

* A "Transition Town" adopts an OFCS system - every business and
individual uses it. How are the big landowners in town dealt with
(assume they're friendly)?
Message has been deleted

Edward Miller

Jul 5, 2012, 7:50:04 AM7/5/12
to of...@googlegroups.com
Teddie,

Old thread, I know, but my view is that it is impossible to obsolete landlordism via monetary means. All improvements to a community, including superior monetary systems, simply raise rents. Just as good schools or low crime rates do.

The solution requires a non-monetary mechanism, which was supported by people such as Silvio Gesell, who you may be familiar with

http://embraceunity.com/economics/we-can-have-it-all-the-beauty-of-value-capture/