Re: [oexchange] CommonTag Support

Message has been deleted

Charlie Reverte

Jan 10, 2011, 6:17:11 PM1/10/11
to oexc...@googlegroups.com, samk...@gmail.com
Hi Sam,

(I'm using the word "tag" in this email to refer to content keyword metadata, not markup tags)

Support for metadata markup can vary from Target to Target.  So it's probably a good idea to pass your tag values on the url in addition to using CommonTags in your documents to be sure that Targets who support tags will receive them.  This will allow CommonTag supporting Targets to provide an enhanced experience while still giving a fallback for Targets which just support simple tags passed on the url.

Tags passed on the url should be human readable - in your case would you be passing the ContentTag span content property as the tag value?

Charlie

P.S. I'm got your original post via the mailing list, not sure why it isn't showing up in the google group

Charlie Reverte

Jan 10, 2011, 6:19:03 PM1/10/11
to OExchange
Btw, this was in response to:

On Jan 9, 2011, at 6:15 AM, Sam Sethi wrote:
I am looking to use OExchange for a new site. I was curious if anyone
had implemented support for CommonTag (RDFa/Google Snippets) -
http://commontag.org/QuickStartGuide.. The extract below implies that
tags in OExchange today are comma delimited but if a URL has semantic
markup then the target is free to extract that extra data. But I want
to ensure the user is given semantic tag suggestions from either
FreeBase or DBPedia. Is there any reason why I cannot do this?

tags
(optional) - from OExchange Spec

A set of comma-delimited "tags" that further describe the content. The
meaning of tags is determined by the target, but a target should not
heavily overload the meaning of tags beyond the generally accepted
one: text strings used by users to assist in organizing content. This
parameter is a CSV-format string obeying the rules for line content
from RFC 4180. Specifically, a list of comma-separated values with no
trailing comma. Values with commas in them must be placed in double
quotes (e.g. foo, bar, "Miami, FL").

Note that it is fully expected that URLs will increasingly contain
microformat, open graph protocol, RDFa, and other meta information via
appropriate specifications and channels. Targets are free to inspect
for these as they would any URL.