MediaWiki GSoC project equation editor

Peter Krautzberger

Apr 29, 2013, 3:08:13 PM4/29/13
to oerpu...@googlegroups.com
Hi oerpub folks,

In case you haven't seen it, there's a GSoC application for adding an equation editor to the new Visual Editor for MediaWiki.

See also the discussion on the wikitech-I list http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-April/068840.html

Would be great if some of you could weigh in.

Peter.

Kathi Fletcher

Apr 30, 2013, 12:27:24 AM4/30/13
to James Forrester, oerpu...@googlegroups.com, Peter Krautzberger
Hi James,

Peter Krautzberger forwarded a GSoC project of yours to create a math editing widget for your VisualEditor project. You may recall that we met last summer and discussed our two editor projects. At the time we talked about sharing UI ideas and we might have something that would be useful.

Based on some experience that Siyavula (South Africa OER textbook and practice service) had with math teachers creating content, we designed a simple to implement math editor widget. Siyavula found that math teachers are just fine entering latex or asciimath with some training as long as they get a live preview as they type. We came up with a simple math widget that is using MathJax to do math editing. It ends up storing mathml annotated with the source format for editing (either latex or asciimath). (I think you guys just store the latex directly which is fine also).

If some aspect of this could be useful to your student we are happy to comment/help/etc. I perused the description a bit, but not in depth.

This is a demo that shows the math -- http://wysiwhat.github.io/Aloha-Editor/oerpub/index.html -- click to edit math, or type latex or asciimath directly in the document, highlight, and click the x squared + 1 button to convert.

This mockup http://mountainbunker.org/~maxwell/oerpub/editor-ideas/editor-52.html (works only in firefox) shows one thing that tests well but we haven't implemented and that is the cheat sheet idea. Thought I would share that also.

Kathi

Peter.

Katherine Fletcher, kathi.f...@gmail.com

Peter Krautzberger

Apr 30, 2013, 6:39:40 PM4/30/13
to Kathi Fletcher, James Forrester, oerpu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your pointers, Kathi!

I've told the student to look at wysiwhat and s/he is very interested to follow that example. When I was talking to James last week, this seemed a more realistic target for a GSoC project anyway.

Thanks for your offer to answer questions! Let's hope the students proposal gets accepted.

Peter.