Microsoft helps WikiEducators

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 16, 2010, 5:25:02 PM11/16/10
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, oe...@googlegroups.com, heyw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Microsoft, working alongside the Open Education Resource (OER) Foundation at Otago Polytechnic and the New Zealand Ministry of Education, has produced a new, open source extension for Microsoft Word that allows documents to be saved in a Wiki-friendly format called MediaWiki, as used by the popular online encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

Read more: http://wikieducator.org/Microsoft_Launches_Open_Source_Filter_for_Mediawiki

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation

Maurice Alford

Nov 16, 2010, 5:39:29 PM11/16/10
to oe...@googlegroups.com
Looks great Wayne!

Collaboration is definitely worthwhile.

regards
:-) Maurice

Paul Seiler

Nov 16, 2010, 5:53:47 PM11/16/10
to oe...@googlegroups.com
I agree and have been playing with the plug-in for 2 months and like it. A good, collaborative effort.

Paul.

Ps could somebody post to mle, as I am on a phone :-)

Sent from my HTC

Nov 16, 2010, 7:15:53 PM11/16/10
to Randy Fisher, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator, oe...@googlegroups.com, heyw...@googlegroups.com, CCCOER
Hi Randy,

Well there is always the WikiEducator online conversion service for those users who may not have MS Word 2007 and above.

See: http://wikieducator.org/Special:OOoConverter

This work was also supported with thanks to the New Zealand Ministry of Education.

Cheers
Wayne

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Randy Fisher <wiki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

This is great news - and a sure sign of progress.

I've checked the download, and sure enough, it's there.

It is a bit disappointing though, that it's only for MS Word 2007 and above.

I know many people (myself included) and organizations which never made the upgrade from Office / Word 2003.

Sigh -

Nevertheless, a big thank you to all of the partners who made this happen.

- Randy

________________
Randy Fisher (aka WikiRandy), MA, OMD
resume - services - roles - case studies - LinkedIn
+1 613.722.5577 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy

  • Strategy, Partnerships, Project Management & Implementation
  • Facilitating Change & Stakeholder Engagement, "Buy-In", & Mobilization
  • E-Learning, Web 2.0/Social Media, Online Collaboration
  • Leadership, Teams & Communities-of-Practice
  • Coaching & Mentoring
Current Roles

1. Practice Manager, iCentro Networks, Ottawa, Canada
2. Project Manager, Community College Consortium for Open Education Resources, California, USA
3. Project Manager, Partnerships, Organization Development & Capacity-Building, International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand

Visit the CCCOER space on WikiEducator - http://www.wikieducator.org/CCCOER

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 17, 2010, 2:36:54 PM11/17/10
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator, oe...@googlegroups.com, heyw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim,

And the online WikiEducator conversion service (which will convert .doc into wiki text) uses the Open Office engine in server mode.

This is useful in cases where institutions lock down machines restricting user freedoms to install free software.

Cheers
Wayne

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Kim Tucker <kctu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Randy and all,

> I know many people (myself included) and organizations which never made the
> upgrade from Office / Word 2003.

OpenOffice.org (free/libre software) has this capability: File/
Export/ MediaWiki (.txt).

I have used it extensively in the past, most recently while
developing/ converting these case studies:

http://wikieducator.org/Free_Software_Case_Studies/Case_Studies#On_WikiEducator

(pro-freedom vs pro-choice ;-)

Kim

Get OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/