Our Kiwi can do attitude is gaining international OER traction ...

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 18, 2010, 2:19:10 AM11/18/10
to oe...@googlegroups.com, MLE Reference Group, heyw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Wow -- it's been an impressive week with a number of publications and press releases recognising our hard work as an OER community.
.
Barbara Chow, Director of Education Program at The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation has prepared a short paper on copyright and OER which is currently being used as a resource for the UNESCO / COL international discussion forum on "Taking OER beyond the OER community".

For the benefit of WikiEducators who are not participating in the form, I include a copy of Barbara's thoughts on OER for your information which you can download from WikiEducator:

http://wikieducator.org/File:WHFF-Copyright_and_OER.pdf

A time for Kiwi's, OERF and WikiEducator to celebrate  - The OERF and WE is cited as an exemplar project for adapting, modifying and publishing OER in a cost effective way.

Congratulations to all WikiEducators who have been working tirelessly to make education more accessible for all.

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation

Wayne Mackintosh

Nov 18, 2010, 4:51:48 AM11/18/10
to heyw...@googlegroups.com, oe...@googlegroups.com, MLE Reference Group
Hi Randy,

Fascinating (albeit the choice of KiwiEducator  -- oops I mean WikiEducator was a tad subversive ;-))

What's interesting is that "Wiki" has Hawaiian origins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki) and Hawaii has strong connections with Polynesian origins. The etymology of "Kiwi" is from the the Maori language (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi) who also have Polynesian roots. Serendipity?

It's all part of our plan to share knowledge freely -- watch this space!

Wayne

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Randy Fisher <wiki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Great news -

BTW: has anyone noticed that if you move the first 4 letters of WikiEducator around, you get "Kiwi"?

Seems pretty subversive to me...

<smile>

- Randy

________________
Randy Fisher (aka WikiRandy), MA, OMD
resume - services - roles - case studies - LinkedIn
+1 613.722.5577 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy

  • Strategy, Partnerships, Project Management & Implementation
  • Facilitating Change & Stakeholder Engagement, "Buy-In", & Mobilization
  • E-Learning, Web 2.0/Social Media, Online Collaboration
  • Leadership, Teams & Communities-of-Practice
  • Coaching & Mentoring
Current Roles

1. Practice Manager, iCentro Networks, Ottawa, Canada
2. Project Manager, Community College Consortium for Open Education Resources, California, USA
3. Project Manager, Partnerships, Organization Development & Capacity-Building, International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand