Embedded content in videos

Sam Lee Pan

Jul 19, 2012, 10:57:09 AM7/19/12
to oer-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi dScribers,

We would like to put more video recordings up as OER, and we have a number of cases when lecturers have been filmed presenting, usually using slides as visual aids. The powerpoint slides have not been dScribe'd so there may be some images within them that may be problematic.  However, I was watching a TED talk the other day, and I noticed that their recordings with presentation using images from other parties, an the videos are distributed under Creative Commons.
Is there guideline about this, or is it evaluated on a case-by-case basis?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Best regards,
Sam
University of Cape Town - Health OER team

Kathleen Ludewig Omollo

Jul 19, 2012, 6:42:56 PM7/19/12
to Sam Lee Pan, oer-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Last year several Open.Michigan team members collaborated with our
copyright attorneys to put together some guidelines for sharing
recordings: http://open.umich.edu/share/share/guidelines-sharing-recordings.
You'll see under "The Use of Others’ Content in Your Recording"
section there's some mention of copyright and "fair use" (which is
the U.S. term for the concept "fair practice" or "fair dealing"). If
the video is taken from the back of the room, the focus is on the
presenter rather than slides, the case for fair use is stronger. At
U-M, where we've had voice-over PowerPoint (so the slides are the
whole screen), we've replaced the all-rights-reserved content with
openly licensed ones and re-synched the slides.

I hope that's useful.

Does OpenUCT have a policy about fair dealing and openly licensed content?

Let us know what you decide.

-Kathleen

Kathleen Ludewig Omollo

Jul 28, 2012, 2:07:28 PM7/28/12
to Health OER Project Administrator University of Cape Town, oer-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Sam, for sharing the explanation from UCT's legal adviser.

We have a few people on this list from countries other than U.S. or
South Africa. Are any of you familiar with the legal guidelines for
fair practice/fair use/fair dealing (i.e. use of all-rights-reserved
material without permission from the copyright owner) in your country?

It's very helpful to know those legal differences for authors in
different countries. That's one reason why we attribute the few images
we choose to keep in OER under Fair Use with a special tag:
http://open.umich.edu/wiki/CitationPolicy

-Kathleen