invitation for students to author content

Monica Mawoyo

Nov 16, 2011, 5:00:30 AM11/16/11
to oer-dScribe
Hi global dScribes
I recently came across an interesting initiative (sharinghealth.org)
which encourages students to author content in health education:
http://www.sharinginhealth.org/clinical_assessment/clinical_assessment.html#fh
Through this initiative, students are given a list of topics to choose
from, and once they have selected a topic, they can then research and
author content about this topic on a provided template. Students can
also offer to do illustrations for selected topics. The authored
content is reviewed by volunteer editors and reviewers who are health
professionals. Currently, there are 33 student authors, 13
illustrators and 41 editors and reviewers.

What is in it for you? The content you author is published under a
creative commons licence, so, if your content is accepted, you get to
make a contribution to health education. Secondly, this is a very good
way for you to learn as writing up content on a topic enables you to
understand the topic better. Thirdly, because the content you write is
reviewed, and publicised, this is very good for your CV. Finally, the
website carries a profile of all its student authors and illustrators,
so this is a good way to promote yourself and could lead to positive
prospects in the future.

So go on, pay the website a visit, look around and see if you like the
concept, and hopefully, you will decide to sign up and contribute some
content.

Regards
Monica

Kathleen Ludewig Omollo

Nov 21, 2011, 2:53:57 PM11/21/11
to oer-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Monica,

What a great link. Thanks for sharing! I'll share this with our students at the Center for Global Health.

At first glance, it doesn't look they make much use of existing OER. I already see a few gaps in their content where some of OER from U-M or the Health OER Network might fit. I will email them.

I recently gave a talk about student-driven OER initiatives worldwide. I'll have to include this the next time I give a talk. It looks like some of their content is still in progress, but is seems that they have a very well-defined submission plan with content priorities and differentiated roles for authors, illustrators, and reviewers.

Kathleen Ludewig Omollo
University of Michigan Medical School Office of Enabling Technologies
Open Michigan Initiative (http://open.umich.edu/)
African Health OER Network (http://www.oerafrica.org/healthoer)

Monica Mawoyo

Nov 22, 2011, 3:12:28 AM11/22/11
to oer-dScribe
Great Kathleen
It would be absolutely useful for them to be aware of othyer existing
OER they can use to write content. Perhaps this would enable them to
build up their content bank much quicker.

It would be good to know how your email interaction with them goes.

Regards
Monica